CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help me customize my exhaust.

Furious

I'll sum up..

I'm trying to build a super light, MotoGP style exhaust system.

I have the header from a Two-Bros shotgun system.

I'm interested in using this 240mm can from Micron

Ultralight%20stack%202sm.jpg

I'm going to need X amount (5-8") of mid-pipe to get past the peg.

The can weights 1.5 lbs.

With it being this light, am I going to have to anchor the can somewhere other than the pipe?

Any other thoughts?

Too short?

untitled3.jpg

Jeff, did you see any HP gain with that setup? Was it the stock header? Wanna build me one? :icon_evilgrin:

i'll find a pic, its not a X-11 is a photoshopped XX i was thinking about doin

edit: DSC00521.jpg

That's about what I'm going for. Do you have any problems with your foot over the exhaust can?

Jeff, did you see any HP gain with that setup? Was it the stock header? Wanna build me one? :icon_evilgrin:

That bike was carbureted and I didn't have the system on long enough to bother to rejet the bike.

I would assume a slight HP increase could be gained but at the cost of unreal sound levels, I don't know if it would be worth it?

That bike was carbureted and I didn't have the system on long enough to bother to rejet the bike.

I would assume a slight HP increase could be gained but at the cost of unreal sound levels, I don't know if it would be worth it?

Yeah, I bet it was loud as hell. Probably pretty cool for the first 10 minutes or so. :icon_twisted:

no problems sounds/looks good. i did paint it black which i like better.

Did you have someone bend a mid-pipe for you or did it just fit right? Where did you attach the can?

Yeah, I bet it was loud as hell. Probably pretty cool for the first 10 minutes or so. :icon_twisted:

If you ping K9XX he has that old system of jeffs, he might be willing to part with it, but I am not sure. He is hooked on the migs.

If you ping K9XX he has that old system of jeffs, he might be willing to part with it, but I am not sure. He is hooked on the migs.

That is ultimately the type of system that I would want in terms of center of gravity, but I don't think I would like THAT much noise coming out of the bike.

Still, I'm tempted.

I for one do not recommend changing exhaust system pipe dimensions. To have the proper scavenging effects to pull the exhaust out of the head and the proper back pressure etc. takes alot of R&D. Any changing of these dims will result in less power produced. It may sound "better" and give the impression of more power, but in reality it will produce less power.

That is ultimately the type of system that I would want in terms of center of gravity...

What's you getting at there ?

Mass centralization = better handling.

I for one do not recommend changing exhaust system pipe dimensions. To have the proper scavenging effects to pull the exhaust out of the head and the proper back pressure etc. takes alot of R&D. Any changing of these dims will result in less power produced. It may sound "better" and give the impression of more power, but in reality it will produce less power.

Well, I am working under the assumption that by using a header designed for the Bird (admittedly the 97-98 and I have an 03) that there won't be any power lost. If there is any loss after the bike is tuned on the dyno then I'm hoping it'll be made up for in the weight savings.

How much do you honestly think you are going to save going to a shorty muffler vs a normal aftermarket pipe?? Minimal weight savings and power loss vs a good Ti aftermarket pipe. If your going for power and weight savings get a full Ti Akro or something similar and stop dicking around with a modded, heavy, stainless system.

By simply adding a shorter mid and muffler I would venture to bet that you will loose power and its still a heavy system due to the stock header pipe.

If its all for looks then mo powwa to ya!

How much do you honestly think you are going to save going to a shorty muffler vs a normal aftermarket pipe?? Minimal weight savings and power loss vs a good Ti aftermarket pipe. If your going for power and weight savings get a full Ti Akro or something similar and stop dicking around with a modded, heavy, stainless system.

By simply adding a shorter mid and muffler I would venture to bet that you will loose power and its still a heavy system due to the stock header pipe.

If its all for looks then mo powwa to ya!

I'm not using the stock header. I have a 4-1 header from a Two-Bros Shotgun system that I'm going to use.

I would imagine I'm going to save half the weight of an after market system since (mid-pipe back) the mid-pipe will be half he length, as will the exhaust can.

I guess I won't know for sure till I try.

I'm not using the stock header. I have a 4-1 header from a Two-Bros Shotgun system that I'm going to use.

I would imagine I'm going to save half the weight of an after market system since (mid-pipe back) the mid-pipe will be half he length, as will the exhaust can.

I guess I won't know for sure till I try.

My TiForce complete system is one of the only fully titanium system systems available for the XX and weights just under 9lbs including can, not to mention will make the most power.

The Akra has a stainless steel header, weighs only 2lbs more (IIRC), and is very close in performance to the TiForce.

Compare those weights to just the weight & performance of your 2Bros header.

Now, if it's just for looks, that's something else. :icon_biggrin:

ebayb275_1.JPG

Kerker makes a tuneable shorty that I have seen that would work. This is an example, but not the one I am thinking about. Will se if I can find the one, but I think the one I was looking for was discontinued that would fit.

cf

72bc_1_b.JPG