CBR1100XX.org Forum

Welding Subframe on the bike

Involute

My bike is carbed, not that it matters (I don't know) and I need to do a little Welding on the Subframe with a MIG. Will I screw up any of the electrics if I weld it on the bike? I'm hoping I can just remove some plastic, take off the battery terminals and go to it but I'll remove the damn thing if a have to.

In my semi-intoxicated stupor, I think you'll be fine. Disconnecting the battery is a good precaution.

A potential problem might be melting items around the subframe - fender liner, wiring harness or the relays behind the battery. If you do that, be sure to get some good pix.

In my semi-intoxicated stupor, I think you'll be fine. Disconnecting the battery is a good precaution.

A potential problem might be melting items around the subframe - fender liner, wiring harness or the relays behind the battery. If you do that, be sure to get some good pix.

Thanks...................and Shut Up.

Is there anyone else out there? Someone smarter preferably.

Sadly, Only fully-intoxicated suburbanites with a partial understanding of metallurgy and current flow are available this evening.

Welding should not be an issue, but I would unplug the electronic control box just to be sure. Nothing else should be able to get hurt.

Sadly, Only fully-intoxicated suburbanites with a partial understanding of metallurgy and current flow are available this evening.

It appears that there is a female with an attitude problem around here also. Regardless, I'm SOL tonight unless I choose between you and the Chick.

I better go with the more masculine assistant.

Redd, what do you think?

Welding should not be an issue, but I would unplug the electronic control box just to be sure. Nothing else should be able to get hurt.

Aha! A smart guy appears! I'm saved.

I believe you Mike and good idea about the Box.

I had a battery explode when my bike was being welded. Mind you this was a really old bike.

I'd pull the battery and unhook the computer/PC2/3 just to be safe.

Yea, I'll do that for sure. It's been so long since I've seen the crack in the Subframe I may be kidding myself anyway. I may need to remove it anyway.

Hell by the time you disconnect the electrics and move all the things that will melt it's what 4 bolts and the frame is out. Then you can move it around to get better angles for welding.

+1

Or you could lose some f'n weight and it will be strong enough that it won't matter. :icon_razz:

Ron Ayers has them for $217, I'd send a PM off to Joe, and an email off to Mike Barth at University Motors in Fargo, and see what their price is, too.

Hell by the time you disconnect the electrics and move all the things that will melt it's what 4 bolts and the frame is out. Then you can move it around to get better angles for welding.

+1

Or you could lose some f'n weight and it will be strong enough that it won't matter. :icon_razz:

Ron Ayers has them for $217, I'd send a PM off to Joe, and an email off to Mike Barth at University Motors in Fargo, and see what their price is, too.

Fuck you ya little Hobbit. It was cracked during my crash so once again.........fuck you. Fuck! Your ass is going to gush blood in July.

The subframe is repairable. I'm riding it now with a small crack in it and it's fine. I just need to touch up and area before I put anyone on the back. So once again..........fuck you.

And thanks for the help :icon_biggrin:

Fuck you ya little Hobbit. It was cracked during my crash so once again.........fuck you. Fuck! Your ass is going to gush blood in July.

This is not the place for foreplay, this is the garage. Cut it out, you're making me horny. Don't make me whack off on your picture again.

The subframe is repairable. I'm riding it now with a small crack in it and it's fine. I just need to touch up and area before I put anyone on the back. So once again..........fuck you.

And thanks for the help :icon_biggrin:

Actually, I don't know how different they are between model years, but you MIGHT want to send a PM off to Byrdman. He frankened a R-1 rear and on his, so it's possible he has a spare subframe.

He frankened a R-1 rear and on his, so it's possible he has a spare subframe.

It was a 1000RR rear end Fuc

Edited by RedBird.

He frankened a R-1 rear and on his, so it's possible he has a spare subframe.

It was a 1000RR rear end Fuc

Edited by RedBird.

ROTFLMAO

I have done it without any changes to the bike. Never a problem. But not worth the potential damages on that piece. Way to easy to remove. 10 min tops.

Pluss might wans tig yours.

And heat treat.

And stress relieve.

And gusset.

Outa chrome molly.

This thread is going so good might get moved to the private pub.