CBR1100XX.org Forum

New HID configuration

OrganDonor

Quick question.

If you buy a dual light kit (high/low with two bulbs) are the kits completely separateable? Could i rig up two bikes with low beam HID?

Is there common equipment that they share?

The high/low kit would be for a "projector" headlight like in certain cars and would not work in our HL's IMHO

They are two complete and separate units.

Sounds great... thanks.

Just for the clarification,, what i was trying to say, is if you buy a two bulb kit, can you put that kit on two different bikes, giving you HID on the low beams?

You can. :icon_evilgrin:

Sounds great... thanks.

Just for the clarification,, what i was trying to say, is if you buy a two bulb kit, can you put that kit on two different bikes, giving you HID on the low beams?

Yes. No problem.

perhaps we should put together another group buy!?

wasn't the last group buy for $145 shipped or something close?

How did the guy in the sales section get his for $125 shipped??

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=45078

Because he only got ONE bulb. The group buy was for TWO bulbs, Hi and Low, for $185 or so.

No need for a group buy. You can contact the seller at hidseller@hotmail.com, and he'll honor the price.

Sounds great... thanks.

Yes. No problem.

Because he only got ONE bulb. The group buy was for TWO bulbs, Hi and Low, for $185 or so.

No need for a group buy. You can contact the seller at hidseller@hotmail.com, and he'll honor the price.

Holy shitballs! $60 for a single bulb? :icon_eek:

Sounds great... thanks.

Yes. No problem.

Holy shitballs! $60 for a single bulb? :icon_eek:

?

It breaks down to $92.50 for each bulb, ignitor, and ballast.

Each bulb has it's own ignitor and ballast, or a combined unit.

The "bulb" is unique, and not at all like your halogen bulbs.

It's well worth the money. An incredible amount of light, many times that of the standard bulb, much more far reaching down the road, and cuts down your consumption of amps, leaving you more juice for other farkles, or to charge your battery.

HID Conversion Kit installation on a 2003 CBR1100XX.

First of all, this was the first time I had removed any of the body panels besides the lowers. So, from turning the first hex socket screw to wiping the fingerprints off took me about 4 hours.

I removed the left and right lower cowls, left and right upper cowl covers, left and right inner covers, the windscreen, and the upper attachment nut at the back of the dash panel, as illustrated in Section 2 of the Service Manual. I did not remove the upper cowl or the headlight because I wanted to use them for positioning reference points.

I stuck the ballasts to the forward part of the frame under the ram air ducts using half a sheet each of the double-sticky pads (because that’s all the contact area I had). I used 2 inch pieces of water pipe insulation to wedge between the ballast bottoms and the oil cooler lines. Hopefully these will provide enough support that vibration won’t torque the ballasts off of the sticky pads. (Time will tell, but I didn’t want to drill any holes.) The electrical connections face forward (probably facing them down would be better for water repellency, but I couldn’t get them in the space in that direction).

post-1023-1177976887.jpg post-1023-1177976912.jpg

The igniters were wire-tied to the cross-brace in front of the dash panel as shown by the arrows after carefully routing them down and then up under all the dash wiring.

post-1023-1177976937.jpg

I used 3/8 inch thick “washers” cut from a ¾ inch heater hose to make up the space not occupied by the Honda H7-bulb-to-their-headlight-bulb-connector adapters to allow the wire clips to put positive pressure on the H7 HID bulb bases. Make sure to get a good bite on the washer with both the top and bottom arms of the bulb wire clip. (A dental mirror on a long handle works well.)

I used one of the wire-ties provided to reposition the weather boot inner sleeve and squeeze it a little so that it would trap the HID bulb’s weather grommet, as shown below (done for both low and high beam boots):

post-1023-1177976967.jpg

The male and female connectors to the HID bulbs were connected.

The included plastic connectors didn't work, so the black spade lug to the ballast was inserted in the green (ground) spade socket on the factory headlight connector. The white spade lug to the ballast was inserted in the blue (hot) spade socket on the factory headlight connector (for each bulb, and the opposite of typical wiring convention for hot and ground). These connections were securely taped after carefully making a test burn on the new HID lights. (Remember that the low beam is on top of the headlight assembly and the high beam on the bottom.)

The loose portions of the HID wiring were tied up with the factory wiring harnesses on the fairing stay.

All panels were replaced in the reverse order of removal, taking care to route the new HID wiring out of any pinch places.

I tried to take some additional pictures, but they didn’t come out very well at all.

And finally, a picture of the completed lights while they were lit. :icon_cool:

post-1023-1178120150.jpg

As an addendum: A gentleman who had a genuine Motor Company HID headlight assembly (>$800) installed on his H-D Road King challenged me to an HID headlight shootout on his store wall. The bikes were lined up with the mid-day sun beating down, then the bikes and lights were fired up. It turned out that the Bird's HID low beam was brighter than the Harley's HID low/Quartz Halogen high beam combination. The Bird's $185 HID high/HID low combo blew him away. His comment was "That's disgusting". :icon_biggrin:

I placed a $185.00 PayPal request to Andy on 4/23/07 at 17:37 PDT for one of his 4300K H7 HID Conversion Kits and these components arrived at my door this afternoon, 4/27/07 via Air Mail. Two ballasts with separate ignitors, two connectors to mate to the original headlight connectors, two H7 bulbs, two pads of double-sided sticky, wire ties, and a manual.

Excellent service!

As has been mentioned before, there are no markings on the bulbs to indicate their temperature ratings unless it is the brownish insulator on the external conductor running up beside the bulb (not seen in the picture). The makeup of the kit looks the same as I recall in the original group buy.

post-1023-1177790554.jpg

Shit - I was seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on these thene when I looked at his link on eBayHID's it states he only ships to USA :icon_frown: Does anyone know of another place that sells HID's and ships International :icon_think:

EDIT: Found this on eBay Bosch HID's, does anyone know what Bosch HID are like for quality etc, I know they make good power tools etc. It looks as though it is only one globe though, but then I only intend putting it in the Low beam anyway and they ship worldwide :icon_biggrin:

FWit's W, I just received an HID by Prius, by Phillips, from Jaws, plus a 100 W High Beam. $265 US$'s. Using the Post Office.

I take it from your post and looking at JAWS site that this is just for the low beam ie 1 bulb ? If so then that is even more $$$ ~ $321AUD shipped to Aus :icon_eek:

I placed a $185.00 PayPal request to Andy on 4/23/07 at 17:37 PDT for one of his 4300K H7 HID Conversion Kits and these components arrived at my door this afternoon, 4/27/07 via Air Mail. Two ballasts with separate ignitors, two connectors to mate to the original headlight connectors, two H7 bulbs, two pads of double-sided sticky, wire ties, and a manual.

Excellent service!

As has been mentioned before, there are no markings on the bulbs to indicate their temperature ratings unless it is the brownish insulator on the external conductor running up beside the bulb (not seen in the picture). The makeup of the kit looks the same as I recall in the original group buy.

post-1023-1177790554.jpg

Shit - I was seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on these thene when I looked at his link on eBayHID's it states he only ships to USA :icon_frown: Does anyone know of another place that sells HID's and ships International :icon_think:

EDIT: Found this on eBay Bosch HID's, does anyone know what Bosch HID are like for quality etc, I know they make good power tools etc. It looks as though it is only one globe though, but then I only intend putting it in the Low beam anyway and they ship worldwide :icon_biggrin:

I'm sure someone on here would help you out with shipping.

Buddy and I bought an H7 kit for a car. They are 5700's. We split the pair, and to make a long story short, it cost me 120CAD (90USD) to install a HID on each bird.

They had the seperate balasts, the wires were a little long so we cut them down by about 4", and installed the igniters on the flat black plastic piece below the headlights on the nose of the bird.....so far so good.

Hey Para I'd be interested in getting a set of HID's with you. Just need to find someone on this Board to purchase and ship 'em to us. :icon_evilgrin:

Maybe John could help us out as go between if he is so inclined :icon_eh:

Just ordered mine today. 187 shipped.

I will document the install if someone wants more details.

I will be putting it on just the low beam for both the XX and F4i.

Got the kit today, and went to work on the F4i first, simply because it is easier to work on.

I secured the ballast under the instrument cluster, with a series of zip ties, since the nose of the F4i really does not have that much room. I could have stuffed it under the headlight housing, but i was worried that the weight of the balast would create a stress fracture in the plastic.

I didn't get the right connector in the mail. Strange.

The dust cover doesn't exactly fit and seal on the new bulb. The metal spring bracket that presses on the back of the H7 buld did not have enough reach, since the new buld did not have as thick of a seat as the original bulb. I made up the difference by sliding some high temp tubing over the bracket. Worked very well and held it securely. Not sure what i'll do yet about the dust seal.

Holy crap are they bright!!!! Very happy with the performance. :)

Question: Did you guys install switches that allowed you to start the engine and then fire up the HID, so that it decreased the wear on the kit? Did you just run a toggle to the ground?

Thanks!

Well I ordered mine this morning and so did OzCrow, we both went for the 5300k :icon_surprised: I contacted Andy and he said he did ship to Aus :icon_biggrin: About 7 other guys are going to get them as well, he quoted us 5K = US$190 shipped (warm white),6K = $200 shipped (pure white), 8K = $205 shipped (Blue white) by transfer/echeck or if using CC/Paypal - 5K = $197 shipped (warm white),6K = $208 shipped (pure white),8K = $216 shipped (Blue white) which I think is pretty reasonable considering the distance to Aus :icon_think: So far he has been great to deal with and very helpful, we can't wait to get them :icon_dance:

Question: Did you guys install switches that allowed you to start the engine and then fire up the HID, so that it decreased the wear on the kit? Did you just run a toggle to the ground?

Thanks!

I think there were several trains of thought on this - some went for the Euro switch so the HL can be turned off, some (like Warchild's CUNT Box ) have added a separate switch and some just hold the starter button before turning the key on ( I think that will be my route :icon_think: )

I am trying to retrain myself to push the starter button down then turn the key on. But since I intentionally park in first gear to make it harder to roll off the kickstand, I have to kick it into neutral, without the neutral indicator light to help, before the start sequence, because I can't use the left hand on the clutch and the key at the same time. It makes it a bit cumbersome at times, especially if I parked on much of a hill. A time-delay relay or additional switch seems like a good idea.

Ya,,,more details on the Euro switch. One of you slouches take a pic would ya???? :icon_evilgrin:

Make this thread the only one that we need to point to with all HID information. :)

I think for my f4i I will just get a high quality toggle that is in inline with the ground wire.

Woo Hoo Look what arrived today :icon_biggrin::icon_cool: Just can't wait to fit them :icon_biggrin::icon_evilgrin: Ordered on the 9th, arrived today - That is great service cosidering the weekend in between :icon_twisted: Thanks to Andy :icon_wink:

post-2722-1179151757.jpg

Woo Hoo Look what arrived today :icon_biggrin::icon_cool: Just can't wait to fit them :icon_biggrin::icon_evilgrin: Ordered on the 9th, arrived today - That is great service cosidering the weekend in between :icon_twisted: Thanks to Andy :icon_wink:

I got the same kit. He sent me some cheap ass connectors that don't snap into anything. For my F4i (same AMP brand headlight connector), i cut the tabs off and soldered them into the connector. I also wired in a switch.

Are you just supposed to shove those copper contacts from the balast into the stock connector? Or are you supposed to trace your headlight wiring back, and then use the small 3 slot/prong connector that came with the kit?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally managed to get the time to finish fitting my HID's yesterday and I am over the moon with the result.

Compared to the guys with FI some things were easier and some were harder :icon_confused: I took my screen and front cowl off as it seemed like it would be easier than disconnecting the dash ( I was correct :icon_surprised: ) and I was surprised actually how easy it was :icon_surprised:

1) First off I could not fit my ballasts to the back of the dash as there is wiring that comes off for the speedo and tacho and mounting them to the frame was very tight for the intake tubes for the airbox.

gallery_2722_589_4364.jpg

2) I had to do like Yo and mount them either side of the headlight :icon_think: The only difference was that Yo already had brackets I had to fab some out of 40mmx25mm Ali angle. I this bolted this in place with one of the shouldered bolts for the headlight unit at the top and put a bolt through the plastic mount for the air vent that comes off the front of the cowl to the oil cooler. gallery_2722_589_289152.jpg, gallery_2722_589_231941.jpg, gallery_2722_589_580727.jpg

3) Like the FI guys I cable tied the igniters and wiring to the cross member that the dash bolts to, although I had to move the igniters inboard to get the cowl on :icon_think: gallery_2722_589_216578.jpg

4) I took the OEM plugs off the loom connectors and just slipped the tang of the HID wiring into the clips and shrink wrapped & taped them up to keep moisture out and tested the lights :icon_wink:gallery_2722_589_300602.jpg

5) I then refitted the front cowl making sure there were no pinched wires and that every bolt was tight :icon_wink::icon_eh: I also added some more stick on foam strip across the top of the headlight :icon_smile:

Here are some more pic's of the actual headlights before and after, as a couple of the others have said the pics don't always give a true indication as the camera seemed to reduce the quality of the pic because of the extra light :icon_confused: The beam is definitely wider and a lot "whiter" than before, I do think that I will need to adjust the lights up as they seem low since I put the 6mm shim in and then added another 2.5mm :icon_surprised: Still they are bright as I was sitting on the road alongside the house and a car came up to the t junction and I could see them shielding their eyes :icon_twisted:

gallery_2722_589_31045.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_279593.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_37443.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_171903.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_209057.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_346903.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_151767.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_358835.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_175243.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_148153.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_19098.jpg,

gallery_2722_589_271581.jpg

:icon_twisted::icon_evilgrin::icon_biggrin::icon_dance::icon_cool::icon_biggrin:

Well had my first ride to work this morning and home in the evening since fitting the HID's and what can I say - They are farkin Awesome :icon_biggrin::icon_twisted: Even on low beam I found I could cruise along at ~140-150kmh on the highway on the way to work whereas normally I would be doing that on high beam :icon_surprised: I do still need to adjust the beam up as since I put in the shims the headlight does aim quite low :icon_confused: I certainly did not have any problems with people flashing me :icon_surprised: I did also notice that the beam goes out a lot wider now although the cut off is more pronounced when cornering ( hopefully when I adjust the HL up it will improve :icon_think: ).

The other thing that I did was I went out on a 2 hr ride yesterday arvo and while out I adjusted the damping on my 900RR shock and it made the handling a lot better :icon_surprised: Now I can really feel how bad the front is :icon_surprised::icon_frown: Oh well soon I will upgrade the front :icon_wink:

Another think I have determined is that my bike is a "HE" as I took it out for a hammer on a nice straight stretch yesterday and had it going into the red in the 3rd at ~ 200kmh+ and I backed off the throttle and I am sure the bike said " hang on a minute what the fuck you doing - you get me all wound up then stop" :icon_eek: bit like a chick blowing you and just as you are about to shoot she stops :icon_eek: WTF. The Bird just felt like it wanted to keep on going :icon_biggrin: