CBR1100XX.org Forum

New HID configuration

OrganDonor

I'm shopping for HIDs for the new Wing. I've noticed that the kits for sale now have the ignitor and ballast combined in one unit. Even the seller from last year's group buy is selling McCulloughs that are once piece.

Any downside to the combined units? I thought there was concern with the heat from one decreasing the life of the other?

The HIDS should be sweet in the wing... I'm doing both lower beams, and they are height adjustable on the fly.

Any downside to the combined units? I thought there was concern with the heat from one decreasing the life of the other?

I don't see why there would be a problem. All factory HID's are built that way, IIRC.

I don't see why there would be a problem. All factory HID's are built that way, IIRC.

With a split unit you can easily (relatively) and safely extend the wires between the ballast and igniter, AS we are only talking about about 100 volts . The ballast can then be mounted were it is more convenient , and the match box sized igniter can be mounted up front. I believe the latest oem car unit s have the igniter built into the socket making the socket larger then you would expect. I have an split ballast and igniter from a maxima or somthing like that that i use for my low beam, with the ballast mounted on the side of the rear subframe. I use a one piece bosch ballast from an audi for my high.

Herb

• 3 weeks later...
Even the seller from last year's group buy is selling McCulloughs that are once piece.

Do you have a link for the old group buy seller to see what he is offering? I searched ebay for HIDseller and got no hits.

He was selling them last week, but hasn't relisted them yet.

You can email him at hidseller@hotmail.com.... I'm buying another pair from him for $187 shipped.

FWit's W, I just received an HID by Prius, by Phillips, from Jaws, plus a 100 W High Beam. $265 US$'s. Using the Post Office. I'm waiting for wheel bearing, a set of shrooms, a braided clutch pipe, and a set of Strada's which I'll pick up tomorrow. I'll have it all installed in a week or so. I'll try to post some pics one day. Maybe.

FWit's W, I just received an HID by Prius, by Phillips, from Jaws, plus a 100 W High Beam. $265 US s. Using the Post Office. I'm waiting for wheel bearing, a set of shrooms, a braided clutch pipe, and a set of Strada's which I'll pick up tomorrow. I'll have it all installed in a week or so. I'll try to post some pics one day. Maybe.

Ouch, pricey.

I'm buying another pair from him for $187 shipped.

So, you have already received one pair of the new combined McCullough style? If so, how long are the leads between the controller and the bulb?

Many of us have bought the McCullough style.

I personally bought over 10 sets and resold them. Installed low and high beam in my Bird. They work great. Best mod you can do for the price, my .02

They are all plug and play, except you need to add a small rubber washer to make it fit snug. No big deal.

John,

I was wondering if the new combined ballast and ignitor might run hotter than the old separated style, necessitating mounting in an area with more air flow. Thus, I am curious as to the length of the wire between the controller and the bulb on the new configuration.

I'm buying another pair from him for $187 shipped.

So, you have already received one pair of the new combined McCullough style? If so, how long are the leads between the controller and the bulb?

No.

The original set I have from him were purchased over a year ago, and have the separate components.

John,

I was wondering if the new combined ballast and ignitor might run hotter than the old separated style, necessitating mounting in an area with more air flow. Thus, I am curious as to the length of the wire between the controller and the bulb on the new configuration.

I wouldn't think there would be any difference but then I have only seen the separate component system.

They are all plug and play, except you need to add a small rubber washer to make it fit snug. No big deal.

Where is the washer put? Under the globe? Does it do the same job as this :icon_confused:

2201022141978080_1.jpg

Bulb Adapter

Ok so i have been thinking about Putting the HID's in the Bird for some time now.

Question i have is what is the best Units to put in?

What bulbs do most of you use with the HID's?

Is it better to do both low and high at the same time or just the low?

Seeing as i will be buy online and shipping to New Zealand im looking for a kit that easy to install and a dealer that i can trust should something go wrong.

Cheers

Paul

I just got mine last month from hidseller and they were separate componets. I can see better with my tinted shield at night than my stock lights were with a clear shield. And that is just on low, which is better than the high was. And the high, hell you need a tinted shield.

I sent HIDseller@hotmail.com an email asking about his current offering, and how long the bulb wire was if the controller was integrated. He responded:

Our ballast has external ignitor. Our standard ignitor is 18inches long. If you want the extended length ignitor, please add extra $14.

We have 4300K H7 available.

Andy

So, it sounds like the McCulloch kits he is selling, at least in the 4300K H7 variety, are configured as they were originally, rather than having an integrated ballast/igniter.

I sent HIDseller@hotmail.com an email asking about his current offering, and how long the bulb wire was if the controller was integrated. He responded:

Our ballast has external ignitor. Our standard ignitor is 18inches long. If you want the extended length ignitor, please add extra $14.

We have 4300K H7 available.

Andy

So, it sounds like the McCulloch kits he is selling, at least in the 4300K H7 variety, are configured as they were originally, rather than having an integrated ballast/igniter.

Weird. The ones he was running on eBay were 5300k (or 5700k?), and were combined units.

Quick question.

If you buy a dual light kit (high/low with two bulbs) are the kits completely separateable? Could i rig up two bikes with low beam HID?

Is there common equipment that they share?

• 2 weeks later...

I placed a $185.00 PayPal request to Andy on 4/23/07 at 17:37 PDT for one of his 4300K H7 HID Conversion Kits and these components arrived at my door this afternoon, 4/27/07 via Air Mail. Two ballasts with separate ignitors, two connectors to mate to the original headlight connectors, two H7 bulbs, two pads of double-sided sticky, wire ties, and a manual.

Excellent service!

As has been mentioned before, there are no markings on the bulbs to indicate their temperature ratings unless it is the brownish insulator on the external conductor running up beside the bulb (not seen in the picture). The makeup of the kit looks the same as I recall in the original group buy.

post-1023-1177790554.jpg