CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ok, got the SS brake lines for the front,, how to install?

TuffguyF4i

I purchased the two line kit for the front. Where do i hook it up? The front braking system looks about as simple as spagetti thrown on a window.

From what i could tell, it goes like this..

-Main line

-joins splitter, seems to continue to on to right and shoot over to left side

-right joins right caliper

Can you hook up SS brake lines w/o disabling the LBS? If anyone could provide a pic, i would appreciate it.

Thanks guys.... i seached but didn't find much.

Dave

I searched some more,,, found this thread... http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...stainless+brake

From what i gathered...

The ss lines come to the top hose (the in) on both the left and right caliper. Also, the bent hose ends belong on the calipers, not the master cylinder.

I think thats enough to get me started. I've done lots of brake work, just never replaced any lines.

Any tips that save some time/mess would be great.

Thanks!

I searched some more,,, found this thread... http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...stainless+brake

From what i gathered...

The ss lines come to the top hose (the in) on both the left and right caliper. Also, the bent hose ends belong on the calipers, not the master cylinder.

I think thats enough to get me started. I've done lots of brake work, just never replaced any lines.

Any tips that save some time/mess would be great.

Thanks!

1. get some one else to do it.

2. have MRE's standing by to eat on while you bleed the brakes

3. good luck

:icon_surprised:

It was me who started that thread last year.

- Don't tighten the banjo bolts when you route the lines. Turn your handle bar full left and full right to check for clearance before you tighten everything. I didn't do that and now the lines at the master cyclinder rubs a little on the dash when I turn it full left.

Dave,

I never opened the kit or researched the installation of it, but if I recall correctly one of the banjo bolts in the kit is actually a double banjo. However I'm not sure if that double banjo goes on the front master cylinder or the union. I wish I could be more useful.

That set you have is actually THE kit I bought last year and never installed. I sold it to disputnyc in November, maybe 5 months after he first contacted me inquiring if I wanted to sell them (before I moved over the mountains and later had trouble finding shit that was still packed away). It looks like the set keeps moving on at progressively lower prices with each location change.

The little package of banjo washers that was separate in the pics are all extras. I ordered and paid a nominal amount for the extras just in case I F'd something up on the install I never did.

The main reason I sold the lines (with full disclosure) was that they were not enough like the full line for line replacement for the OEM set I wanted. I believe that I would have to get either HEL or maybe Spieglers at considerably greater cost to have the section for section swap I am seeking. Ran into a guy this last weekend who told me there is a place in Sacramento that will build such SS lines on my OEM connectors, too, but that will be for next winter if I don't get a set of HELs in the mean time.

Dave,

I never opened the kit or researched the installation of it, but if I recall correctly one of the banjo bolts in the kit is actually a double banjo. However I'm not sure if that double banjo goes on the front master cylinder or the union. I wish I could be more useful.

NP man. If everything backfires, i'll just put them on the F4i,,,they're a perfect fit on a very simple braking system. Might be good for someone to know.

The double banjo comes right off the M/S like most other kits...i think it reaches.

NP man. If everything backfires, i'll just put them on the F4i,,,they're a perfect fit on a very simple braking system. Might be good for someone to know.

The double banjo comes right off the M/S like most other kits...i think it reaches.

Dave, I'll also give you the option of returning the kit for a full refund. Like I said I didn't research how the kit integrated into the LBS. I'd feel bad if I sold you a kit you don't use.

The install is 90% complete. They are 100% functional. Now i have to find some good clamps to hold everything down, and prevent the lines from sliding on everything.

The install would have been much easier if the bends had been more aggressive on the banjo fittings on the rotor side. I also had to re-adjust the main banjo off the m/c so it would not pull on the two throttle cables in a full left turn/lock.

Could have been better could have been worse. But its mostly done :)