CBR1100XX.org Forum

My hugger shrunk???

MileHi

I finally got some time (I had to take vacation time) to start putting the 'Bird back together. I got the rear wheel on, adjusted the chain and took her out for a quick spin. Once I got back, I started to put the (Pyramid) hugger back on... Well, there aren't too many ways to to install it (like only one!), but the damned thing is rubbing on my new Pirelli Diablo. I'm wondering if the Diablo is taller than my pervious tires... Like the Metzeler Z6 or the Pilot Powers. Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone know of a hugger that might not "hug" the rear tire as closely???

Just color me confused... I guess I'll be running w/o a chain guard or hugger until I get this sorted out.

I don't know what brand mine is---but it's pretty flimsy and rides close to the tire---so when running higher speeds it seems to get pulled and touches the right side of the tire. I have every intention of taking it off and cutting off a few inches (been saying that for the last 3 tires, one of these days).

If you know of a slick way to make a clean cut on thin plastic, please let me know & I will do a little research on how far you have to cut it back in order to not rub---at all.

Happy trails kel

The tire is probably taller that what you had. The profile is different from one model to the nexxt even though the size is the same. The Diablo must be pointier making it rub. You're not the first to experience this. I don't know if there is is a hugger that "hugs" less but I know some have shimmed between the arm and the hugger to raise it.

Or you could slice off some of the tire. :icon_cool:

Yes, the tyre is bigger. I made a casing for an exhibition a few weeks ago, and I fit 24 different motorcycletires into it (all of them pairs of 120/70-17 and 180/55-17). To my surprise and embarrassement some did not fit the holes I had made for them. The biggest ones were the Metzelers and the Pirelli's.

And here I was thinking all tires of the same size are the same size, but clearly not! The outter diameter can differ more than 1.5 Inch.....