CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ignition Advancer for FI Blackbirds

jon haney

I emailed a guy at www.factorypro.com last week and he said that if he had at least 25 orders he would make an advancer for the fuel-injected blackbirds. I'm assuming the price would be the same as the non-FI model. I'll email him again later and find out for sure.

I'm note very good at these forum things so if anyone would like to "take the wheel" on organizing a group buy, me and 24+ other people would be very appreciative.

FYI - 4 degrees of advance is what I'm going to ask for. If that is too much advance, the knock sensor should compensate.

Any takers??

Tell all your friends.

From what I have heard all street bikes can gain some Hp (small but cheap HP) from 2 to 4 degrees of advance will get you some HP. Do to emissions most bikes are tuned for lowest possible emissions not best performance.

What do you hope to gain?

Have you seen any Dynos showing a benefit?

I'm hoping to gain a little more torque in the mid-range RPM. One of my Blackbirds is a dedicated drag bike and I'm hoping a torque increase will help my 60 foot time. On hot days I think I might have a little trouble running the 9.90 index for the Supergas class.

Haven't seen any dyno runs. As a general rule, a few degrees of spark advance will give more torque in the mid-range of most stock engines. There is a plug-in ignition module option for the Power Commander, but it cost as much as the Power Commander itself. I'm hoping to save a little money. I haven't heard back from FactoryPro about pricing yet. Stay tuned.

It's funny Factory doesn't make one for the FI Birds already, considering there are far more FI Birds on the road than carbed.

I'm very happy with my advancer on my carb XX. Gives more mid range power and I'm still using regular gas.

On the FI Birds, with the knock sensor I would think you'd have to run premium or even add a booster just to keep the computer from retarding the ignition and defeating the purpose. Probably why they don't make one in the first place.

It's funny Factory doesn't make one for the FI Birds already, considering there are far more FI Birds on the road than carbed.

I'm very happy with my advancer on my carb XX. Gives more mid range power and I'm still using regular gas.

On the FI Birds, with the knock sensor I would think you'd have to run premium or even add a booster just to keep the computer from retarding the ignition and defeating the purpose. Probably why they don't make one in the first place.

Yeah... I'd think that you can add all the timing you want, but if you're running pump gas, the computer will just pull the timing anyway, when the knock sensor shows spark knock...

Mike

When my XX was on the dyno, the tuner added and subtracted 2 and 4 deg. ign. Some added 1hp in areas and lost in others. Overall we found no reason to change. This was done wot and 50%. In my opinion based on hard numbers, adding and advancer will yield nothing but less $ in your pocket.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like I'll have to try dynojet's ignition module to get proof of any gains. If I do, I'll post the results here. I will gladly accept any donations from those curious about the results. :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

I have tried 91 octane fuel before, but the bike seemed to run better with 87 octane, especially in the mid-range.

Yeah... I'd think that you can add all the timing you want, but if you're running pump gas, the computer will just pull the timing anyway, when the knock sensor shows spark knock...

Mike

You may be right, but that is assuming that the computer is giving you the max. possible advance at all times based on feedback from the knock sensor. I'm willing to bet that is not the case. The computer's base setting is probably set a few degrees retarded from optimal as a safety factor or maybe to meet emissions. Having an advancer would just move the base setting. (I know, I know. What is the point of a knock sensor if your going to play it safe, right?) :icon_rolleyes: I've been around long enough to realize that some things just don't make sense. Anyone know any Honda engineers?

9.90's heh?

I assume you are a rider who weighs less than 160 lbs ? What kind of MPH #'s are you getting?

I wish. Last time I weighed 160 I think Ronald Reagan had just been elected president. I have a slick and wheelie bar on the drag bike. If I was that light, it would being running 9.60's. Last week I went 9.81 @ 137. The dragbike has a new Wiseco big bore kit and very minor head work with a zero map in the PC. Haven't had time to get to the dyno yet. I should have went with the JE kit. I weigh about 205 which is good for about 10.40 @ 133 on my street Blackbird with lowering link and front end strap. I could probably knock 2-3 tenths off that if the clutch wasn't so grabby.