CBR1100XX.org Forum

pair valves

Canadian Bird

Exactly what are pair valves, location and function?

IIRC, there's really no part called a 'PAIR valve'. Instead there's the PAIR (Pulsed Air) injection system, which is composed of reed valves (in the valve cover), a solenoid, tubing and wiring harness. The PAIR system injects air into the engine's exhaust stream, which helps it meet emmission standards in the US (maybe Canada too).

I'm not sure how this works exactly, maybe the extra air simply dilutes the combustion by-products, burns off environmentally harmful exhaust gases, or something else?

All US blackbirds have this system, probably Canadian ones too. I don't think Australian ones do, not sure about European ones.

I'm not sure how this works exactly, maybe the extra air simply dilutes the combustion by-products, burns off environmentally harmful exhaust gases, or something else?

Correct. Any unburnt fuel that leave the combustion chamber is super hot from the firing proccess, and burns once it comes in contact with a cool oxygen molecule from the Air injection in the exhaust. Basically speaking.

And it also... helps to decrease the negative pressure wave pulse from reaching through the cylinder and back into the throttle bodies upon valve overlap, which contaminates the next intake charge. Hence the flat spot at around 5500 rpm.

So it has it's plus's and minus's.

But in order to get correct AFR reading throughout the entire RPM ramnge... you have to disable the system.

Did that help make the water a little muddier for you ? :icon_smile:

• 2 months later...

IIRC, there's really no part called a 'PAIR valve'. Instead there's the PAIR (Pulsed Air) injection system, which is composed of reed valves (in the valve cover), a solenoid, tubing and wiring harness. The PAIR system injects air into the engine's exhaust stream, which helps it meet emmission standards in the US (maybe Canada too).

All US blackbirds have this system, probably Canadian ones too. I don't think Australian ones do, not sure about European ones.

All blackbirds? Including the Carbed Birds?

All blackbirds? Including the Carbed Birds?

Yes All US blackbirds, which includes the 97-98 XXs. That's why I said "All US blackbirds".

Thanks Mr Bad Example!

So what was the final decision on what they did to the fuel mixture if any? On my VFR, I think it was causing it to run lean because the O2 sensor was seeing a rich condition in the exhaust so it was cutting fuel. Removing it off that bike smoothed out some of the 4500-5500 rpm hesitation that the bike exibits. (Y2K VFR800 Close Loop)

On a carbed bird, what effect would it have? From another thread our three wheeled friend removed his, but I dont know what year bird he runs.

EDIT

I am an idiot. No need to answer that question.