CBR1100XX.org Forum

Possible problem with low beam HID system

Warp11XX

New quirk showed itself this morning on the way to work. It appears as if the directional signals intermittently cause the low beam HID light to pulse in brightness. I thought that the ballast was supposed to prevent the voltage drop/rise that would cause this with an incandescent bulb....isn't it??? Since this doesn't happen every time the signals are activated, does this indicate a possible EMP effect of some kind? My ballast is ty-wrapped to the back of the gauge cluster on the mounting frame. Could this have any effect?

New quirk showed itself this morning on the way to work. It appears as if the directional signals intermittently cause the low beam HID light to pulse in brightness. I thought that the ballast was supposed to prevent the voltage drop/rise that would cause this with an incandescent bulb....isn't it??? Since this doesn't happen every time the signals are activated, does this indicate a possible EMP effect of some kind? My ballast is ty-wrapped to the back of the gauge cluster on the mounting frame. Could this have any effect?

I'm wondering if you're getting a voltage drop? Maybe the R/R is checking out?

Since this doesn't happen every time the signals are activated, does this indicate a possible EMP effect of some kind? My ballast is ty-wrapped to the back of the gauge cluster on the mounting frame. Could this have any effect?

I'm no expert on HID but the voltage on HID is MUCH higher than your turn signals 12V so I can't see a EMP effect causing the issue.

My guess is your charging system/battery but again it's just a guess.

If this is occuring as you sit idling in traffic, especially if you've been travelling slowly for a while, its probably "normal."

If this is so, bring your revs up to 2000 when this happens and my guess is that it will stop.

But you need to check your charging system and battery just to be on the safe side. If your battery is more than a couple years old, it may not have the immediate reserve necessary...and that's okay, as long as you're aware of it.

The HID kits will flicker if the battery and/or R/R are on their way out. Thats how I knew the R/R on the VFR was on its way out, I noticed a slight flicker at night with the HID's on. Next morning the battery was dead, and when I checked the R/R it was no longer charging. So, as Joe said - check your battery and R/R.