CBR1100XX.org Forum

Interchangable XX Parts

Para045

Well after replying to Dr Ergal in the other threads and rereading the thread on model differences Model Differences and not having much luck with searches I started wondering because of the fact that getting some parts for the early XX's is getting harder can someone clear up a few questions. Now as my bike is a 98 carbed but is Titanium and the panels etc are looking a bit second hand and new parts so expensive here in Aus I am wondering A) Does the 00 FI top cowl fit onto a carb bike without much modification, B) Same for the rear cowl - is it just a matter of replacing the tailight and cowl or does the battery tray/inner fender need to be changed as well, C) Can the bigger late model stator be swapped into the earlier bikes ( mines fine ATM but you never know). The main thing is that from looking at this HDL link John01xx had for Honda Direct Line that a 00 upper cowl is US$410.16, I would guess that $150 would cover shipping so with conversion to AUD it would be ~$750AUD :icon_think: that is a ~$250-$300 saving over a local dealer if those cowls come painted ready to go :icon_think: Same with the rear cowl - HDL = US$386.38 +$150sh+conv= ~ $715AUD again a ~$225 saving even if I need a tailight US$84.47+$50sh+conv=$180AUD I would still be in front and have a new light as well :icon_think:

You actually might want to talk to John about the shipping side if you have one of us pick up the parts and ship them to you. John explained it all in detail in a thread on the other xx site. I'm sure one of us would be willing to help out to help save a brother some money on shipping and duties involved especially if you would help hook us up with some of the new bird badges for when I repaint my bird. :icon_whistle:

Here is a link it's about half way down the page where he explains it.

shipping

oh and as far as I know all the plastics will interchange the tail light being the only issue on the tail that I know of.

I am at work right now but can tell you that HDL is 6 blocks away from me.

If you decide to order anything from Directline that needs to be shipped to Aus. Then I will pick them up for you and ship them to you myself. I will ship them Global Expedited Mail with a 3-5 delivery time. Combineing you parts would save even more on shipping cost.

Plus I will mark them as commercial samples so that you pay no duties or customs fees upon avival in Australia. And for insurance I put a low value marked on the customs form so that if all else fails then you can only be forced to pay duties on the lower value.

So far, knock on wood, noone I have shipped to has ever had to pay any import duties or extra fee's.

I just shipped $1500.00 in product to Jaws on Monday that he may see today. Hopefully no extra duties. England normally charges a 17% VAT tax on imports !!!!

Anything from Directline I can help you with since the Owner and I are good friends and I have an account with them and I am also a vender for them as well. They sell alot of "Awesome Ears" that I supply them with !

Which by the way, everyone should be wearing Awesome Ears on their helmet !!!!

A) Does the 00 FI top cowl fit onto a carb bike without much modification,

B) Same for the rear cowl - is it just a matter of replacing the tailight and cowl or does the battery tray/inner fender need to be changed as well,

C) Can the bigger late model stator be swapped into the earlier bikes ( mines fine ATM but you never know).

A)The upper cowls interchange with their basic fitment. The carbed cowls have the mounting points to secure the ducting that sends air over the oil and water radiators. The injected bikes don't need these because the ramair runners between the cowl and the airbox are stuck in place, and can't fall out, even without fasteners.

B)All rear cowls interchange. As far as I am aware, the rear taillight interchanges as well. The later model rear cowls are supposed to have a rubber sealing strip around the taillight cut. They look different, but really are the same. The inner fenders will interchange, but are different because there are more electrics in there with the fuel injection, and the attachment points for them and the FI ECU were reworked.

C)Yes, but you'll need to change the plug, and I'd suggest the later model regulator, or a similar substitute such as that from an R1.

A)The upper cowls interchange with their basic fitment. The carbed cowls have the mounting points to secure the ducting that sends air over the oil and water radiators. The injected bikes don't need these because the ramair runners between the cowl and the airbox are stuck in place, and can't fall out, even without fasteners.

So Joe how hard do you think it would be to put some mounting points in a 00 FI Top cowl or is it not worth the mucking around with :icon_think:

B)All rear cowls interchange. As far as I am aware, the rear taillight interchanges as well. The later model rear cowls are supposed to have a rubber sealing strip around the taillight cut. They look different, but really are the same. The inner fenders will interchange, but are different because there are more electrics in there with the fuel injection, and the attachment points for them and the FI ECU were reworked.

So are you saying that the cowls are the same and they just take up the space for the different tailight with a rubber strip?

C)Yes, but you'll need to change the plug, and I'd suggest the later model regulator, or a similar substitute such as that from an R1.

What would be entailed in putting a later model reg on, is it just that the reg has wiring +a plug rather than the plug being in the RR, I have seen the write up on the R1 RR and it looks interesting although I don't know what Yamaha charge for a R1 RR here in Aus and whether it would be easier to just use the later Honda RR if they are plug and play if they are rated higher than the carb ones :icon_think: If I changed the stator and RR to later models would that mean that one would plug into the other with no problems? - that seems the case from looking at the wiring diagrams :icon_think:

So Joe how hard do you think it would be to put some mounting points in a 00 FI Top cowl or is it not worth the mucking around with :icon_think:

So are you saying that the cowls are the same and they just take up the space for the different tailight with a rubber strip?

What would be entailed in putting a later model reg on, is it just that the reg has wiring +a plug rather than the plug being in the RR, I have seen the write up on the R1 RR and it looks interesting although I don't know what Yamaha charge for a R1 RR here in Aus and whether it would be easier to just use the later Honda RR if they are plug and play if they are rated higher than the carb ones :icon_think: If I changed the stator and RR to later models would that mean that one would plug into the other with no problems? - that seems the case from looking at the wiring diagrams :icon_think:

a. Probably not too hard. Some of the plastic patch compounds with activator cure to the consistancy they you can drill and tap them, or cast them with the bolts in place under a thin clear sealing plastic film like Saran Wrap, then you can just pull out the bolts. I imagine it would take a couple of hours.

b. Yes, that's what I'm trying to say.

c. 4 wires need to be cut and spliced, or in some way put together. The stator and RR do not plug into each other. They both connect to the wiring harness.

I have used a FI nose cowl on a carbed bike. I didn’t fab any tabs I just used some tape to hold the air ducted in place while putting the nose back on. It’s such a tight fit between the cowl, air ducted and headlight it’s not going to move at all once everything is back together. So yes It can be done with NO modding.

Hope that helps.