CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hey Warchild

flyv65

I'm curious about how you're liking your 3rd generation light mounting brackets. How did you decide that mounting the lights above the mirrors was better than below? Did you try them mounted below the mirrors or had you decided ahead of time you wanted them higher? Any issues with Johnny Law 'cuz the lights are above the level of the headlight? Also, how big a light could you mount on the bracket you designed?

Some riders I know have "manufactured" driving lights (using H7604s) that are the equal of the PIAA 910s in distance, although slightly narrower in spread (ST riders-cheap and creative). The lights cost them less than $60 in parts but they cases are almost 4 5/8" in diameter. Think something like that would fit on your mounts?

Bryan...gonna start gettin' dark earlier now...

His site does not allow copying of jpg's, otherwise I'd post them here.

No, no..... it allows it; you just can't right-click them (in IE).

But you can link to them....see?

853mile_front.jpg

Now let's get to your questions...

How did you decide that mounting the lights above the mirrors was better than below?

As a general rule, you *always* want to mount the lights as high as practical, this in order for the beam to cast as faaaaaar down the road as possible. The earlier you can spot the Forest Rats, the better chances you have at avoiding them.

Did you try them mounted below the mirrors or had you decided ahead of time you wanted them higher?

2ned generation brackets were below the mirrors. It sorta did the job, but I wasn't getting as much usable light far enough down the road to my satisfaction.

Any issues with Johnny Law 'cuz the lights are above the level of the headlight?

Zero problems... because you don't use these babies in the presence of on-coming vehicles, trust me! You really only want to light these off when you're alone out in the desert (or mountains, wherever).

Now, I have, in fact, used them on divided highways (interstates) when there is no one in front of me for a couple miles, and if the divided highway is "wide" enough so oncoming truckers don't get blasted. The PIAA 910s have quite the narrow beam (though very intense!) beam; it truly stays pretty much in your lane, about a 15-degree spread... that's pretty narrow.

Also, how big a light could you mount on the bracket you designed?

Big as in size, or weight? You want to endeavor to keep your lamps as small as practical to both reduce the chances of impact damage to your lens, and also to keep wind drag to a minimum. If you put wide-ass, big honkin' lamps up there, you'll be surprised at how much mpg it robs at speed... seriously!

...Big as in size. I don't really want a pair of big-ass lights flopping about creating drag, but the lights I can get (afford) are pretty sizeable-about 4 5/8 " in diameter (much bigger than I wanted). I'd love a set of those PIAA 1100X driving lights, but jeez are THEY pricey!

Say, does BLM make the mounting brackets to sell to other XXers, or is your design propietary? Thinking about going into the manufacturing business, are you? You could have an amusing side-line in XX specific parts; after all, the UK has Jaws...we'll have Warchild :grin: .

Bryan...of course, that'll cut into your riding time...

Say, does BLM make the mounting brackets to sell to other XXers, or is your design propietary? Thinking about going into the manufacturing business, are you? You could have an amusing side-line in XX specific parts; after all, the UK has Jaws...we'll have Warchild

Heh....

Well, I did design these bad boyz, but I'm donating my design rights to the XX community at large..... hey, I love youse guys, and donating my work helps keep my karma quotient up high (where it desperately needs to be....)

BLM will make them for you, but be advise, his shit is spendy. It's killer, quality stuff, mind you, but it ain't cheap. I believe the brackets at $85 a set (and, no, I don't see a penny of that...).

But if you ride a lot at night, especially in heavy deer country.... $85 is pretty damn cheap insurance.