CBR1100XX.org Forum

Widening the stock XX rear wheel...

Godspeed409

I know the stock XX rear wheel is 5.5"... i was thinking of sending it off and getting it widened an inch, maybe 1.5" Has anyone ever done this? I want a wider rear tire, but still want it to turn fairly well and really dont like the extended swingarm look.. any idea what the maximum tire width would be with the stock swingarm? im sure i couldnt probably take it past a 200 - 210 rear without a different swingarm, but i just spent a good little while polishing the stock piece and would like to use it if at all possible...

just an idea... i know these guys will widen the stock wheel... :icon_confused:

http://www.kosman.net/

The swingarm isn't the issue, the chain is. I think a 190 is as wide as you can go before running into the chain.

didnt think about that... hmm... has to be able to be done somehow... maybe a different wheel all together? if a differrent swingarm is required so be it...

now you got me thinking... hmmm...

The swingarm isn't the issue, the chain is. I think a 190 is as wide as you can go before running into the chain.

didnt think about that... hmm... has to be able to be done somehow... maybe a different wheel all together? if a differrent swingarm is required so be it...

now you got me thinking... hmmm...

Chain has to stay inline with the CS. I had a 6.25 and with a 190 I was hitting the chain. I cut off the first 1/8 of rubber off the tire to clear the chain.

You would have to go with a offset swingarm to get any wider.

If I`m not mistaken some Harleys have offset rear wheel or swingarm.

So I guess it would work,becouse as we all know all H-D possess superb handling manners,,,,,,,,

The thing to do is NOT mess around with off-setting the wheel or anything else. I am running a 6" rear wheel with a 190 tire and the chain clears by 3/8" or so. If you must go wider on the wheel and tire, get an off-set front sprocket, but remember, you will need to make sure rear sprocket is in-line with the front sprocket.

Ummmmmmm..........I've got a Dunlop 200 on my rear, and I didn't modify anything :icon_think:

Ummmmmmm..........I've got a Dunlop 200 on my rear, and I didn't modify anything :icon_think:

Ummmmmmm.......if you've wedged that thing onto the stock 5.5" rim you've altered both the intended profile and width. That thing must handle like a dream. :icon_think:

Ummmmmmm.......if you've wedged that thing onto the stock 5.5" rim you've altered both the intended profile and width. That thing must handle like a dream. :icon_think:

:icon_imwifstupid: That tire must have a pretty good dome effect going on

This says a lot about you....

Do tell Confuscious Chris

(Redbird Posted Today, 07:43 AM) Ummmmmmm.......if you've wedged that thing onto the stock 5.5" rim you've altered both the intended profile and width. That thing must handle like a dream.

That's what it had on it already when I took it in after buying it........so that's what I left on it

Edited: Also Tim........my comment was more aimed towards the fact I didn't modify/fabricate the swingarm, chain or anything else structurally

This says a lot about you....

Do tell Confuscious Chris

(Redbird Posted Today, 07:43 AM) Ummmmmmm.......if you've wedged that thing onto the stock 5.5" rim you've altered both the intended profile and width. That thing must handle like a dream.

That's what it had on it already when I took it in after buying it........so that's what I left on it

Oh WOW! you'll be REALLY suprised at how good the handling is, when you put a 180 on there! It's like Race-Tech's tag line... "the best you've ridden is the best you know"

Mike

Oh WOW! you'll be REALLY suprised at how good the handling is, when you put a 180 on there! It's like Race-Tech's tag line... "the best you've ridden is the best you know"

Mike

I "get" what you're saying Mike. However........bear in mind I'm coming off my 1st bike, an '82 Yamaha Vision 550, to the 'Bird. So I already think the 'Bird handles (and does everything else for that matter)like a dream........even with the 200 on the rear.

When I take the 'Bird on the MotoGP circuit to give Nicky a run for the title....I'll probably swap back to a stock 180 on the rear. 'Til then, I have no delusions my riding style is good enough that the tour will be recruiting me anytime soon :icon_wink:

Edited: Also Tim........my comment was more aimed towards the fact I didn't modify/fabricate the swingarm, chain or anything else structurally

My comment was aimed toward the fact that you have indeed modified something- the tire itself. A 200 series tire will not be 200mm wide when mounted on a 5.5 inch rim.

As far as needing to be an expert rider to benefit from the proper tire size, that's simply not the case. The bike works and handles better with the appropriate size tire no matter your skill level. Cramming a 200 series tire on there is a detriment to your riding whether you realize it or not. If you hope to improve at all, why hobble yourself with an oversize rear tire that's been distorted way out of it's intended profile? If you're only reason for running a 200 is because "that's what was on there", then fine, but your stated intent to continue to do so says you just like the way it looks- that's fine, too, but you might benefit from bumping down to a 190. It'll probably appear just as wide as the 200 when mounted as it will be distorted less by the too narrow rim, and the bike's handling will probably improve somewhat.

Mike

I "get" what you're saying Mike. However........bear in mind I'm coming off my 1st bike, an '82 Yamaha Vision 550, to the 'Bird. So I already think the 'Bird handles (and does everything else for that matter)like a dream........even with the 200 on the rear.

When I take the 'Bird on the MotoGP circuit to give Nicky a run for the title....I'll probably swap back to a stock 180 on the rear. 'Til then, I have no delusions my riding style is good enough that the tour will be recruiting me anytime soon :icon_wink:

I'm not talking about if you're fast or not, because, like Tim said, it has to do with the tire having a profile it's not intended to have... I'll go one step farther and say that it's a huge safety issue, too... People get away with the 190 if they don't run too many curves, or run REALLY sticky tires that can make up for the fact that they don't have much rubber on the ground at any kind of lean angle, but a 200?? There have been plenty of times that I've come around a corner and there was sand on the road. The bike slid through the sand, and gently hooked back up on the other side, while I was still leaned over... I would say that if I had less contact patch at lean angle at several of those occasions, I don't know if it would have hooked back up at all, being that coeffecient of friction goes down once you start sliding, so it's hard to get a slide back, with no inputs (meaning, letting off the gas, or counter steering)...

How about this... You go to SWMotoTires right now (or whenever you start riding again, if you've stopped for the winter) and buy a 180 rear tire to fit the 'bird (180/55-17), and if it's a Pilot Power or Diablo Strada, and if you mount it up and don't like it, and want to go back to your 200, I'll buy the 180 off of you (as long has it hadn't been burned out with, or had a TON of miles on it) for what you paid for it + shipping to my house. Hell, since you're in OH, if you ride to my house with your old 200 strapped to the back, I'll even change it back on there for you for nothing, and still buy the tire for what you paid for it. It literally is THAT big of a difference, because I've ridden Travis' bike with the 190, and it is WIERD and BAD in the handling dept.. I'll buy it from you if you don't like it. No shit. You have nothing to loose by trying it.

Mike

Mike

I'm not talking about if you're fast or not, because, like Tim said, it has to do with the tire having a profile it's not intended to have... I'll go one step farther and say that it's a huge safety issue, too... People get away with the 190 if they don't run too many curves, or run REALLY sticky tires that can make up for the fact that they don't have much rubber on the ground at any kind of lean angle, but a 200?? There have been plenty of times that I've come around a corner and there was sand on the road. The bike slid through the sand, and gently hooked back up on the other side, while I was still leaned over... I would say that if I had less contact patch at lean angle at several of those occasions, I don't know if it would have hooked back up at all, being that coeffecient of friction goes down once you start sliding, so it's hard to get a slide back, with no inputs (meaning, letting off the gas, or counter steering)...

How about this... You go to SWMotoTires right now (or whenever you start riding again, if you've stopped for the winter) and buy a 180 rear tire to fit the 'bird (180/55-17), and if it's a Pilot Power or Diablo Strada, and if you mount it up and don't like it, and want to go back to your 200, I'll buy the 180 off of you (as long has it hadn't been burned out with, or had a TON of miles on it) for what you paid for it + shipping to my house. Hell, since you're in OH, if you ride to my house with your old 200 strapped to the back, I'll even change it back on there for you for nothing, and still buy the tire for what you paid for it. It literally is THAT big of a difference, because I've ridden Travis' bike with the 190, and it is WIERD and BAD in the handling dept.. I'll buy it from you if you don't like it. No shit. You have nothing to loose by trying it.

Mike

Now that is putting your money where your mouth is :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

If you're only reason for running a 200 is because "that's what was on there", then fine, but your stated intent to continue to do so says you just like the way it looks- that's fine, too, but you might benefit from bumping down to a 190. It'll probably appear just as wide as the 200 when mounted as it will be distorted less by the too narrow rim, and the bike's handling will probably improve somewhat.

I've thought about doing just that.......dropping to a 190, cause yes, truth be told, the other reason I kept the 200 is that I've always thought one of the things that looked so kick ass about sport bikes was those big ass fatties on the rear!! :icon_razz:

However........Buddy has a 190 on his 'Busa, and it actually almost looks BIGGER than my 200?!? :icon_think:

Question on a similar note.......Just bought my tires year & half ago after I bought bike. Think they've still got decent tread on them for part of this summer, but am planning on ordering new ones soon just to have ready. That's when I've been thinking of bumping back down to 190 on rear.

Question is this.......front tire I noticed has "cracks" inside some of the tire/tread grooves. Is that normal wear & tear, or is that a symptom of dry rot already?? On a cage, wouldn't worry about it much, but on a bike I regularly push +10 over :icon_wink: , kinda concerned me when I found it. Wanted your guy's opinions/advice

Mike

:icon_eek: WOW.........that IS a generous offer Mike!! :icon_thumbsup: I appreciate you lookin' out for me with the intent of that offer.

As I said in my reply to Tim above, I'm probably going to compromise and drop down to a 190 when I buy new tires this summer. Current ones have about 5,000 miles on them. Still think they've got some decent wear left in them, as I don't really do any burnouts (too cheap :icon_wink: ), but that front one with the cracks in the treads kinda concerns me

If you're only reason for running a 200 is because "that's what was on there", then fine, but your stated intent to continue to do so says you just like the way it looks- that's fine, too, but you might benefit from bumping down to a 190. It'll probably appear just as wide as the 200 when mounted as it will be distorted less by the too narrow rim, and the bike's handling will probably improve somewhat.

I've thought about doing just that.......dropping to a 190, cause yes, truth be told, the other reason I kept the 200 is that I've always thought one of the things that looked so kick ass about sport bikes was those big ass fatties on the rear!! :icon_razz:

However........Buddy has a 190 on his 'Busa, and it actually almost looks BIGGER than my 200?!? :icon_think:

Question on a similar note.......Just bought my tires year & half ago after I bought bike. Think they've still got decent tread on them for part of this summer, but am planning on ordering new ones soon just to have ready. That's when I've been thinking of bumping back down to 190 on rear.

Question is this.......front tire I noticed has "cracks" inside some of the tire/tread grooves. Is that normal wear & tear, or is that a symptom of dry rot already?? On a cage, wouldn't worry about it much, but on a bike I regularly push +10 over :icon_wink: , kinda concerned me when I found it. Wanted your guy's opinions/advice

The reason his 190 looks wider than your 200 is because it is. His rim is wider, so his tire is wider. This is what we're saying... The tire doesn't get wider, because the rim doesn't let it... It just gets "flatter" and has a sharper drop-off and a smaller radius in the middle, and lots of unused tread at the edges, because it's bent around the sides so far... Not something you want to do, and also not something the tire is designed to do.

I won't run motorcycle tires more than one year. Of course I go through about 3 rears and 2 fronts a year as it is, but still... As rubber ages, it doesn't tolerate heat cycles as well, and is not as pliable, so it doesn't stick as well... Lots of people run tires longer than that, but I personally won't.

The cracks... it depends on what they look like... Since the release compount doesn't get worn off down in the tread, if it's very light cracking on the surface (it'll look light in color too), it's fine, but if it's deep cracks in the rubber, I'd replace them, personally...

Mike

Don't have time right now........gotta take my nap for work tonight........but I'll go out soon and snap some pix to post so you can hopefully see what I'm lookin' at.

As far as chicken strips on the rear.........I don't think mine are too :icon_wink: wide

Mike

:icon_eek: WOW.........that IS a generous offer Mike!! :icon_thumbsup: I appreciate you lookin' out for me with the intent of that offer.

As I said in my reply to Tim above, I'm probably going to compromise and drop down to a 190 when I buy new tires this summer. Current ones have about 5,000 miles on them. Still think they've got some decent wear left in them, as I don't really do any burnouts (too cheap :icon_wink: ), but that front one with the cracks in the treads kinda concerns me

It's really no problem... In the VERY unlikely event that you don't like it, I'm only out the $15 for shipping anyway... but how about this...

Since you're going to get a new set of tires anyway, do me this favor? Buy the 180 rear with the standard front, in the Diablo Strada (or the Power, if you wish), and if you don't think the 180 is leaps and bounds above and beyond what you've run so far, not only will I buy the 180 from you + shipping, I'll also pay the shipping on your new 190 from SWMotoTires (because if you only buy one tire, they charge you shipping).

I'm doing this because I've never ridden on a 200, but to me, even the 190 is scary in the handling dept.

Mike

how many miles are you riding a year Mike?

~18-20k (edit: mostly commuting... not much time to REALLY ride, so it's about ~10k commuting, ~5k at meets, and ~2-4k other)