CBR1100XX.org Forum

Marcy smith cage system

Let me start by saying Holy fucking shit it took me long enough to get this thing put together. I was going to wait and finish out our extra room upstairs and turn it into a dedicated workout room but I figure it could be a while before I get to that so I elected to set it up in the game room upstairs.

Its fucking HUGE.

I haven't actually worked out on it but I have messed around with the various stations and so far everything seems to work really well with the exception of the preacher curl. I'll mess with it again because I like preacher curls but it didn't seem to have adequate range of motion using the curl bar thing that comes with it. Likely Ill just use dumbbells or pick up an EZ curl bar later to use.

In addition to the smith bar/cage it has a lat pull down, tri pushdown, cable crossover, cable curl, seated row, butterfly/pec deck and leg curl/extention stations.

Generally I hate doing bench on a smith bar so I like the fact that this set up has a regular barbell benchpress setup in addition to the smith bar. The benchpress has a couple of stops/hooks. One for the regular starting postion for the barbell and one as a failsafe so you can work to failure without a spotter.

I did try benching the smith bar just to get a feel for it and it actually seems to follow the natural range of motion fairly well due to the angle of its travel. The smith bar has the standard smith bar hooks and it has adjustable safety stops.

The best part is that the whole thing was $398 at Sams.

I'm anxious to get back at it since I haven't worked out in a couple months and have just sat around eating like a fat fucking pig over the holiday season. :icon_biggrin:

Here is a pic of the set up and my spotter.

normal_marcycage.jpg

• 7 months later...
Brett, this thing still in action... I will be searching around for something in the next couple months.

Still in action. Works fantastic for the money. I use it several times a week. I have a few very minor complaints but the positives definitely outweigh them.

One is when I'm working calves in the smith cage using a 2x4 under my toes I have to be careful or I hit my head on the top bar. Also I really wish the lat bar that came with it was straight instead of the big arc so that I could use it more effectively for seated rows. It could also use an extra pair of weight storage bars so I don't have to shuffle plates. Only happens occasionally though.

The biggest issue I have is the way the upper/lower pegs work for the bench I'm not 100% confident in working bench to failure. The longer pegs should be good enough to set the bar on if you cant squeeze out that last rep but I missed once on one side and unfortunately I had the weight clips on so I was pinned for a min. Not fun. I learned my lesson and don't use the clips now so if it happens the weight will just fall off. I would prefer that it was an actual cage like this where the bottom bar goes all the way across so you don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I love it and use it very often.

One more note. The attachment to do bicep curls on the preacher station is completely useless. I just took the handle off and if I was to do preacher curls I use an ez-curl bar.