CBR1100XX.org Forum

Aftermarket Panniers and mounting kits for blackbirds

bwflorence

I found my paperwork on my panniers total with freight was $807.35 no vat charges. When I get my bird back I'll post pics.

Can you get some good pics of the mounting points for the rails? I've got an Ohlins rear shock and the adjuster is mounted inboard of the right rear passenger peg, so I'm concerned that I may have some conflict mounting-wise. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Yeah, I see what you guys are talking about. My bikes at the shop so I can't try them on, they look like they would be more aerodynamic the way I have them. That's why I thought they went on in the direction they are on my bike. But If you were two up the passenger could not get their feet on the pegs. I hopefully will get my bike home before the next snowstorm and see how I like them the correct way. Thanks, Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried these bags from JC Whitney, they look like Givi knock off:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/...0014603/c-10111

I went to the site and read the reviews, people who bought them seem to think they are a good value. Some gripes about the mounting system, but hey they are less the half the cost of the Givis, and they throw in the "mounting plate". One reviewer said those bags fit right on the Givi brand mounts...

They are better than a milk crate, but I'm pretty possitive they won't fit GIVI speciffic racks....

But one can pack into anything, I guess.... :icon_think:

Cheers,

Great photo, I saved it in my collection.

Why don't you think the JCW copies will fit the Givi racks? Do you know someone who has tried? I am interested because I am selling my FJ1200 and its got Givis on it. The new owner doesn't want to pay me extra for the bags but he wants the mounts and the option of buying the JCW bags later :icon_rolleyes: . If the JCW bags don't fit the WingRack2, then hell I am pulling the Givi mounts off the FJ...

First of, the JC crap is just that - crap.

And I think it stays way behind GIVI, Kappa, Krauser, Hapco&Becker , Shad and now gone Nonfango.

I know few guys have them (i.e. Justin) and they are cheap to buy....

But their mounts are total pos. And the mounting points for the bags are spaced in a diferent places than those on the GIVI bags. The pyramid clamp where the case locks down, is of a different size and shape too.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the FJ kit has been long gone. There is a chance that you could sell it to someone who wants one.

Just my opinion though.

Cheers,

Peter...how are you?

I stopped at the Givi display at the NYC show intending to bust balls asking them where you were and that I wasn't gonna buy anything from anybody but you.

But after I stood there for about a minute, I realized they weren't going to stop bullshitting with each other and ask if they could help me, so I left.

Great customer service and impression.

:icon_thumbsup:

First of, the JC crap is just that - crap.

And I think it stays way behind GIVI, Kappa, Krauser, Hapco&Becker , Shad and now gone Nonfango.

I know few guys have them (i.e. Justin) and they are cheap to buy....

But their mounts are total pos. And the mounting points for the bags are spaced in a diferent places than those on the GIVI bags. The pyramid clamp where the case locks down, is of a different size and shape too.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the FJ kit has been long gone. There is a chance that you could sell it to someone who wants one.

Cheers,

The JCW stuff is crap, I agree.

Thanks for the details on the mounting setup. I think I will be pulling the mounts off my ole FJ, then I'll post them over at fj1100.com and enjoy the bidding war! :icon_evilgrin:

Peter...how are you?

I stopped at the Givi display at the NYC show intending to bust balls asking them where you were and that I wasn't gonna buy anything from anybody but you.

But after I stood there for about a minute, I realized they weren't going to stop bullshitting with each other and ask if they could help me, so I left.

Great customer service and impression.

Hi Joe..... :icon_cool:

I'm sorry they don't have the same customer service skills as I do.... :icon_evilgrin::icon_wink::icon_twisted:

Could you describe them ? :icon_think:

Come by in Daytona, warm up the ole bones and such. I'll be there. And then at the Americade and the Hoot....

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
Has anyone tried these bags from JC Whitney, they look like Givi knock off:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/...0014603/c-10111

I bought a JCW top case. The big one and I busted the latch that holds the lid closed. I had my ruck sack in the case and tried to closed the lid and SNAP... the plasic latch snapped right off. It wasn't that cold in the garage. I had the trunk for 9 months.

It's time to spend some $$ on some quality cases. :icon_evilgrin:

I have the $80 large JCW hard bags (they are sold as a top case, but I also bought 2 more to use as saddlebags).

If you get the newer ones with the metal mounting brackets, they fit into the brackets VERY well - no slop, they click in like a bank vault door shutting.

The material of the cases MIGHT be a tiny bit thinner than Givi, but you'd have to break out the dial calipers to prove it (at least on this particular case - I understand that the smaller/cheaper JCW's are substantially thinner.

I'm very happy with all 3 of mine after 10,000+ miles of commuting and touring, and you can't beat the price! I did have to fabricate my own bike-bracket mounts, but anyone with some common sense and normal garage tools could make them..

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the Givis are very likely "better" - but if the price is 3X as much cost I'd want 3X the bag.. :icon_whistle:

• 1 year later...