CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske Shock Installation

Dragonslayer

Okay Hopefully someone can help me with my shock installation.

I have the old shock out and no matter which way I try to install the new Penske shock I run into a problem.

The Remote Comprssion adjuster creates a couple of issues with the Bird.

1) Where to mount the adjuster itself since there is no real good location and the the clamps that came with the adjuster are usless unless I mount theadjuster under the seat for a stealthy look. :icon_wall:

2) Problem 2 is that no matter whether I run the the line off the shock cap to the left or the right there is something in the way. On the left you have what apears to be part of the main wirig harness and on the right you have the radiator overflow tank. Considering it apears that the exit point cannot be changed would you not think that if the shock was intended for a Blackbird that it should have had the line exit the shock cap at an angle which is the only way I can see it working.

Kevin Reinhold

I mounted my reservoir on the left side at the bottom of the plastic, above the heel guard. See picture.

I took a 1/2 round piece of aluminum tubing, flattened both ends, drilled a hole at each end, used the seat cowl bolt to secure one end, The loop on the passenger peg to secure the other with a ziptie. I cut 2 small slots in the cowl edge to run the hose clamps thru and used the rubbers that are give with the shock to mount it to the alumimun bar.

I ran that setup for 5yrs.

IPB Image

Well after taking a few hours to chill out. I went back out and found a that the major issue with getting the shock into place revolved around the route I had the line for the remote adjuster following. Once I rerouted the line itself I was able to get the shock installed. I do still have to come up with a mount still but it is in position for now. :icon_clap:

I also found that a lot of my clearanceissues with the line and the wiring harness came from the fact that I have a 6mm shim in there which placed the connection closer to the wiring harness. After rerouting I made it work. I also wasableto do all this without removing the tank. I just ran a tie down strap around a support bracket for my garage door and attached another one to therear of the tank and used that kinda like a hoist to hold the tank out of the way while I worked. :icon_dance:

All in all I am happy so far, hopefully I will get to theauto parts store today. I am thinking of using a clamp intended for an ignition coil on a car and attaching the resiviour to the bracket that supports the passenger peg as well as the muffler.

You can bin that shim now since you have ride height adjustment on your new shock.

+1 and FWIW - I had no problem at all routing the hose directly from the shock around the subframe and attaching the reservoir to the subframe under the grab handle on the left. I have to remove the seat to adjust the damping but it's not like you do that every day. Used the stock mounting spacers and clamps sent with the shock.