CBR1100XX.org Forum

02 white smoke

cecome

Anyone have white smoke from exaust on a 2002? I went to look at one with 9200 miles on it. They guy said he hadn't really been riding it lately and it would be condensation. I am also curious about stock pipes looking tarnished kind of a brown near the base of the slip ons. Any help would be great. The bike seemed to ride fine except the front wheel needs replacement.

How long did you let it run/ride it? Condensation would clear up after a couple minutes.

Not sure about the brownish stain near the mid-pipes. Did he have slip ons on at one time? Possibly fitting the stockers back on and they dont fit exactly like they did before?

The front wheel or tire needs replacement??? If its the wheel I wouldnt be riding it.

:icon_nono:

How long did you let it run/ride it? Condensation would clear up after a couple minutes.

Not sure about the brownish stain near the mid-pipes. Did he have slip ons on at one time? Possibly fitting the stockers back on and they dont fit exactly like they did before?

The front wheel or tire needs replacement??? If its the wheel I wouldnt be riding it.

:icon_nono:

white smoke did stop after a few minutes...looked like the pipes were in a almost burned in a strange way, sorry it is the tire not the wheel

I'd say you are safe as far as the smoke goes. Any chance of taking pics?

We'd be glad to look them over for you.

You really cant expect much wrong from a Honda with 9200 miles on it.

My guess is running rich. Too much fuel will produce white smoke, at least it did on mine after replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the excess gas had to burn off. Mine was an 02 and the diaphragm went in the regulator from sitting too much I guess. Perhaps a similar situation.

I'd say you are safe as far as the smoke goes. Any chance of taking pics?

We'd be glad to look them over for you.

You really cant expect much wrong from a Honda with 9200 miles on it.

don't have pics but it is listed in craigslist for los angeles and there are a couple pics there

mine have a darkish brown, almost rust like color at the base of the midpipes after 3 years...i think mine was because i am lazy and dont wash it (or didnt as the case may be)

thanks...I appreciate the feedback. How many miles on yours??

My guess is running rich. Too much fuel will produce white smoke, at least it did on mine after replacing the fuel pressure regulator and the excess gas had to burn off. Mine was an 02 and the diaphragm went in the regulator from sitting too much I guess. Perhaps a similar situation.

thanks..I appreciate the feedback. This guy was laid up for the last 6 or 7 months so it may be involved..will likely have the honda dealer give it a once over before I drop the dough.

How much $$ is he asking?

You may have a forum member nearby who could stop by and save the dough from taking it to the stealer.

These bikes do not have a bad maintenance history!

:icon_biggrin:

How much $$ is he asking?

You may have a forum member nearby who could stop by and save the dough from taking it to the stealer.

These bikes do not have a bad maintenance history!

:icon_biggrin:

Hey thanks man!!!! The bike is in Calabasas CA between Ventura and LA counties kinda. If there is anyone who wants to save me the dough I welcome the help !!! I could buy a few beers for the safety check $$'s.

White smoke = coolant

Blue smoke = oil

Black smoke = too much gas.

Check the oil dipstick to see if the oil is milky. If the oil is discolored, coolant is leaking from somewhere and into the crankcase. If it is normal colored and the smoke continues to be whitish, then there is either a hole or a crack in the head, or the head gasket is leaking.

When a vehicle sits for a long period - usually several months - the valve seals can shrink which allows oil to leak past them and into the combustion chamber. Upon ignition, blue smoke will be visible from the exhaust, but with use, the seals will again expand which will stop the leak and there will be no more blue smoke.

If you continue to be concerned about the condition of the engine, do a compression check on it.