CBR1100XX.org Forum

making a temporary fuel tank

Eric_The_Jew

I soldered a 3/8" MIP x 3/8" hose barb fitting into the bottom of an old coffee can. Connect a piece of 3/8" hose to the barb then a barb tee fitting to the end of that hose. Connect the tee to your fuel lines.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm a cheap mofo :icon_evilgrin:

So I guess a barb tee fitting is a fairly common part one could buy at the hardware store? I think that's all I should need, because a gear oil bottle already has the cap with a pointed tip. I could just slide some fuel line over the tip of the bottle, and run that to the barb tee fitting.

Oh yea, and i'll need to poke a vent hole in the top of the bottle and figure out some way to hang it higher than the carbs. I need one of those IV roll around carts that you see in hospitals :icon_biggrin:

This carb synch will be this weekend's project.

So I guess a barb tee fitting is a fairly common part one could buy at the hardware store? I think that's all I should need, because a gear oil bottle already has the cap with a pointed tip. I could just slide some fuel line over the tip of the bottle, and run that to the barb tee fitting.

Oh yea, and i'll need to poke a vent hole in the top of the bottle and figure out some way to hang it higher than the carbs. I need one of those IV roll around carts that you see in hospitals :icon_biggrin:

This carb synch will be this weekend's project.

You can get the tee fitting at any decent auto parts store.

And be careful, gas is very expensive and from what I hear extremely flammable.

Have I ever mentioned that I'm a cheap mofo :icon_evilgrin:

Not as cheap as me.... I'm gonna save syncing my carbs til my nexxt visit to your house, Brett :icon_evilgrin:

Which reminds me, I need more mercury :icon_doh: Every place I've checked doesn't sell it anymore. They show it on their website, but when I go to order it I'm told it's discontinued.

Sooo bring a case of mercury thermometers with you :icon_lol:

Take a 2-liter sodapop bottle. Screw the fitting into a hole in the bottom. Tie a piece of string around the neck to hang it. Fill with a funnel.

So if you screw the tee barb fitting into the bottom of the soda bottle, what is going to seal it?? A soda bottle isn't very thick, and I would think it would deform or strip out easily if you tried to thread anything into it. Just curious how to go about this, because it would definitely be a good setup!

Take a 2-liter sodapop bottle. Screw the fitting into a hole in the bottom. Tie a piece of string around the neck to hang it. Fill with a funnel.

So if you screw the tee barb fitting into the bottom of the soda bottle, what is going to seal it?? A soda bottle isn't very thick, and I would think it would deform or strip out easily if you tried to thread anything into it. Just curious how to go about this, because it would definitely be a good setup!

JB Weld it if you have to, but I didn't figure it'd need to last all that long. I suppose you could put the fitting in the cap of the bottle and turn it upside down like an IV, instead.