CBR1100XX.org Forum

Identify where this plastic part fits, please - 1997 Bird

97bird

Hello members,

I have two questions - first, I am putting the fairing pieces on, near the handlebars, and I do not know where the two flat 3" by 5" grey translucent plastic sheets fit. Question two is about the two clear, colorless plastic sheets above the oil cooler. Are they air baffles, and why are they transparent?

Thanks.

On my 98, the semi-translucent panels are in the right and left side upper fairing, kind of next to the guages. There's a small slot where the sit down over an oil cooler line I believe. I think they are simple air blocking panels to direct air into the oil cooler.

The 3" x 5" grey panles are a mystery.

Yes, the clear panels appear to be air directors, but why are they clear? And, unlike the clear pieces, the grey ones have no mounting holes - only a "u" shaped slot as if they fit over a one inch hose or tube ...??!!

Thanks.

On my 98, the semi-translucent panels are in the right and left side upper fairing, kind of next to the guages. There's a small slot where the sit down over an oil cooler line I believe. I think they are simple air blocking panels to direct air into the oil cooler.

Yes, the clear panels appear to be air directors, but why are they clear? And, unlike the clear pieces, the grey ones have no mounting holes - only a "u" shaped slot as if they fit over a one inch hose or tube ...??!!

Thanks.

Is this what you are talking about

[attachmentid=5373] [attachmentid=5374]

the larger I guess its about 3 x 5 stands up and fits into the slot over the oil line.

post-2671-1165253543_thumb.jpg

post-2671-1165253557_thumb.jpg

The picture on the left is the item I am talking about - I hope there is space for another one the other side of the oil cooler. Now that I see it in place, I think I can reinstall the ones I have. The picture on the right is something different ... I knew you guys could help ... These are the ones I am calling "grey translucent." I still am curious why the clear colorless baffles are "see through" ....

Thanks.

Is this what you are talking about

[attachmentid=5373] [attachmentid=5374]

the larger I guess its about 3 x 5 stands up and fits into the slot over the oil line.

They are both to keep hot oil cooler air from being sucked up in the air intake. Cool air is better for power.

I sold my '97 and now have an '03, so I can't go look again, but my recollections from having the '97 apart are that the purpose was to keep the carbureted models form having a ram air effect from the oil cooler air inlets on the nose. The FI models have ram air ducting and are tuned for that. The carbureted models are not tuned for that additional air, so as soon as you hit speeds where you get that compressor effect, you get a big lag and drop off in power. Important pieces you need to put in.

Hopefully rockmeup Joe or Northman will tell me I'm full of shit or confirm that. Seems we had this discussed a year or two ago, though.

Thanks, everyone for your input. I have installed both the clear and the translucent grey baffles. The grey ones look like they may not stay where they belong, but at least they will start out in the right place. I still see no reason for them to be clear or translucent, but I guess that is the kind of plastic they had available (??!!).

Alan

Thanks, everyone for your input. I have installed both the clear and the translucent grey baffles. The grey ones look like they may not stay where they belong, but at least they will start out in the right place. I still see no reason for them to be clear or translucent, but I guess that is the kind of plastic they had available (??!!).

Alan

Well if as you say they may not stay where they belong maybe that has happened before and someone has replaced them with some other pieces of plastic :icon_think: