CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do I check a shock?

mesenger1

I have remove the springs for two rear shocks, a 900rr and 1100xx. When I compress both shocks only the 1100xx expands back to its normal length, are they both suposed to work on the same prinsiple or am I missing something here?

Help before I buy a spring for the 900rr

Thanks.

Mesenger1

Check the nitrogen charge in the shock - if it's depleted you won't get extension on the shock without pulling it by hand. If it's a reservoir shock, there is a schrader valve on the canister, if there's no reservoir, the shock body itself will have a valve. You can check the pressure with a mountain bike shock pump. A regular bike tire pump won't work because the shocks can be pressurized up to 300 psi.

Check the nitrogen charge in the shock - if it's depleted you won't get extension on the shock without pulling it by hand. If it's a reservoir shock, there is a schrader valve on the canister, if there's no reservoir, the shock body itself will have a valve. You can check the pressure with a mountain bike shock pump. A regular bike tire pump won't work because the shocks can be pressurized up to 300 psi.

Can any servic shop recharge it?

Can any servic shop recharge it?

If the preasure is gone, and it wasnot vented on purpose, then it had to go somewhere . I would think that the seals in the shock are defectice or there is a leak some where. Unless you know why the gas is gone, I would look for another shock for your project.

Herb

Any motorcycle or auo racing shop should be able to recharge it. If you have lost the nitrogen, it could be as simple as having a leaky valve. Shocks will lose their charge slowly over a period of time, so if the shock has been sitting for a long time, that could be part of the problem. Canisters have an end cap that is sealed with an o-ring, so if the o-ring goes bad the gas goes out. There is really no other place for the gas to go, since the gas and fluid are separated by a floating piston. A hose leak would leak fluid, not gas.