CBR1100XX.org Forum

Elecrical problem worse than I thought...

silverbird1100

O.K. so, my bike is only charging the battery 12.1-12.3. First I replaced the battery. Then did the battery current leak test. It showed less than 2 mA draw which is under specs. Then I checked the alternator charging coil, which was within specs at .3. Warmed it up, reved to 5000RPM and voltge was still 12.1-12.3. even with a DIFFERENT rectifier off a 99' which connected up just fine (even though the part number is different), still no charge. I've also checked all the fuses, no leaks. W T F :evil:

The same rectifier works fine on another bike.

From what I understand, the stator is the basic part of the alternator. The technical manual tells me the test for this is to check the resistance between the 3 wires that go to the rectifier via the stator which should be between 0 and 1. It checks out at .3 for all three combinations of wires. You also check continuity of the 3 wires to ground and they should show 0 to 1 as well. They also checked out at .3. I think the only thing that goes wrong with the stator is a short, or an open, which these 2 tests show should be ok. The recitifier I borrowed off my Dad's 99 works perfectly and charges at 15 volts.

The bird stator is relatively easy to replace. Just remove the cover on the left side and it's right there.

I don't know the voltage specs, but if I had a problem I'd try measuring the phase-to-phase voltage of the stator output to see if it was supplying enough voltage for the R/R to regulate. Dont' waste your time with ohm checks.

The problem with stators is that they generally fail by getting too hot, so that the windings fuse to each other, reducing the available generated voltage to the R/R.

You can try Electrex at $174:

http://www.electrexusa.com/ISSUES_STREET/I..._CBR1100XX.html

these are high quality aftermarket stators. (some haven't had success with the regulators, but the stators appear to be an improvement over stock, they claim 15% higher capacity)

or you can try www.ronayers.com:

Part Number: 31120-MAT-004

Description: STATOR

Price: $158.13