CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top engine noise, rattle on right.

feelergaugephil

I got my XX with 17K on it, it's at 28K, 02 XX.

At 19K I changed the CCT with a new Honda one.

Problem:-..........

At 3K revs it's rattling really really badly, I took of the fairings and it's defianatly coming from the upper right side, like the camchain is striking something.

Above 3K it goes away, if I rev it quick it sounds awful, I just noticed the sound today after I replaced the drivetrain.

Could the CCT have gone out?????

I took the 8mm bolt out and GENTLY wound he screw to the right, I can still hear the awful rattle!!!

On Idle, it sounds normal, any ideas before I run it down to Honda????????

Yep, sounds like the good ol CCT to me.

I have worn them out in less than 4K miles before............... but I'm real hard on the bike with high revs and heavy engine braking.

The CCT is a cheap place to start.

OK, put the new CCT in (2 green dots on the side) and it clears about 80% of the noise, I guess it might need shims then?

It is quite possible it may need new shims, yet some on this site claim to have checked the valves at 50K miles and still needed no new shims. It all depends on how you've ridden the bike. Lots of high rpm operation at full throttle will lessen your intervals between needing valve adjustments.

By the same token, you must also realize what is normal valvetrain noise and what is not. Any motor that uses direct valve actuation like ours (i.e., not hydraulic lifters) will make a certain amount of ticking. Furthermore, you have the fuel injected model, and fuel injectors also will make a ticking (the solenoids inside them) that often is confused for valvetrain noise.