CBR1100XX.org Forum

Vinyl Cleaner FYI

Zero Knievel

For those of you who bought the Second Skin tank covers, you probably noted that the instructions say to only clean with VINYL FINISH cleaner.

Well, nobody around my parts has that, and an online search shows I can buy it from the manufacturer for $11.50 for a small bottle. :icon_eek:

Fortunately, the people who sell it do list what can and can't be used to safely clean vinyl. So that you all know without having to look it up yourself, from their website:

Use these products to clean your vinyl-covered boat interior:

* Vinyl Finish Vinyl Cleaner.

* Mild dish soaps (such as Dawn or Ivory)

* Fantastik (container must state it can be used on vinyl)

* 303 Protectant

DO NOT use these products to clean your vinyl-covered boat interior:

* Formula 409 (bottle states “Not for use on vinyl.”)

* Murphy's Oil Soap

* Simple Green

* DC Plus

* ArmorAll

* Top Kote Sealant

* Son-of-a-Gun

* Orange 88 Degreaser

* Roll-Off

* Bleach/Baking Soda

* Turtle Wax/Tar Remover (containers state “Not for use on vinyl.”)

* APCO

* Harbor Mate

* Do not use kerosene, gasoline or acetone, as they will remove the protective marine top coat.

* Do not use any silicone based products. They will extract the plasticizers in the vinyl, leave it hard and brittle, and eventually cracking may occur.

For those of you who bought the Second Skin tank covers, you probably noted that the instructions say to only clean with VINYL FINISH cleaner.

Well, nobody around my parts has that, and an online search shows I can buy it from the manufacturer for $11.50 for a small bottle. :icon_eek:

Fortunately, the people who sell it do list what can and can't be used to safely clean vinyl. So that you all know without having to look it up yourself, from their website:

Use these products to clean your vinyl-covered boat interior:

* Vinyl Finish Vinyl Cleaner.

* Mild dish soaps (such as Dawn or Ivory)

* Fantastik (container must state it can be used on vinyl)

* 303 Protectant

DO NOT use these products to clean your vinyl-covered boat interior:

* Formula 409 (bottle states “Not for use on vinyl.”)

* Murphy's Oil Soap

* Simple Green

* DC Plus

* ArmorAll

* Top Kote Sealant

* Son-of-a-Gun

* Orange 88 Degreaser

* Roll-Off

* Bleach/Baking Soda

* Turtle Wax/Tar Remover (containers state “Not for use on vinyl.”)

* APCO

* Harbor Mate

* Do not use kerosene, gasoline or acetone, as they will remove the protective marine top coat.

* Do not use any silicone based products. They will extract the plasticizers in the vinyl, leave it hard and brittle, and eventually cracking may occur.

Thanks very much for posting this information. As you already mentioned, many products including ArmorAll are not suitable for use on vinyl. I was especially surprised that ArmorAll was not suitable for use on vinyl as I've used it for years on automobile interiors with no ill effects. But - SecondLook was very specific in their warning about not using ArmorAll. Thanks again for taking the time to list these products - very good information to know. :icon_thumbsup:

Well, the Vinyl Finish (for me) is only available online. The price wouldn't be so bad if I knew the quantity. Bottle looks real small.

Dawn and Ivory dish soap can be found in any grocery store (thankfully).

Fantastik (vinyl safe) is seemingly impossible to find. The local WalMart had 4 versions of it, most all either had bleach or antibacterial in it. I'll try a grocery store, but I suspect you have to find the old formula, not the new ones they try to market.

303 Protectant is expensive, but it seems to be good stuff. Lots of different products marketed by the company, so I don't know if buying one is a protectant, a cleaner, all-in-one, etc.

I've had very good results with CycleCare Formula 4 (all their products, for that matter) and Corbin Saddle Cream. Both do a good job of cleaning and conditioning vinyl and leather.

www.cyclecare.com in case you're interested.