CBR1100XX.org Forum

Beemer Sportgrips, Dual-Star heaters - which throttle lock??

bpg

Looking to install beemer sportgrips sometime this winter (stockers feel too small in diameter, plus added comfort might be nice), and the dual-star heaters...

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm

2 Questions:

- If anyone is using the Sport Grips, is the dual star set-up potent enough to heat through the extra rubber of the Beemer grips?

- Which throttle lock would work best with this set-up:

Vista Cruise?

IPB Image

or NEP?

IPB Image

Thanks!!

The Vista is not mounted on the grip, it's mounted inbetween the grip and the switch-housing. Therefore it does not matter what grip you use. In worst case you need to move the grip a little outwards, but that is all....

I just installed the Dual Stars and BMW grips. The heat has no trouble getting through the grips. Sitting in the garage with them on high they were too hot in less than 2 minutes. Keep in mind that's sitting still and bare handed.

The BMW grips are a touch longer than the stockers. If you slide the throttle grip out to make room for the throttle lock it may rub on the bar end. I installed throttlemeisters when I did mine

I have the Vista Cruise on my 01 BB US model. I put in on only 2-3 weeks ago, about 400 miles. I really like it at this point. :icon_clap: As Helvet indicated it is actually mounted around the throttle twist itself, not on the grip. If these grips are longer than standard grips, this could create a problem with the throttle snap back when releasing the Vista Cruise. I have BikeMaster Dense Foam Sport Grips which I have no problem with my cruise. One thing I suggest is if you go with Vista to mount the way the guy did on the link below. Otherwise the thumb lock is on the bottom in a bad position. :icon_confused: I did mine exactly this way and it works perfect. I used a larger screw than 5mm, but 5 is fine I am sure. :icon_angel: Good luck which ever route you choose.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/cruse1.htm

Redbird USA

I strongly disagree with this method. Firstly it is quite easy to damage the housing. Secondly the position of the lever is not easy to use this way. If you only take of the smaller part of the side-tabs, and leave the bigger one on, you should make this fit perfectly inbetween the 2 gascables. That way the position is perfect to operate, and it's completely free from touching the gastank or any other parts.

I also noticed there is quite a big difference between older and newer Blackbirds in the space between the switch-housing and the ridge on the gas-handle. With some bikes it fits without needing any work at all, in other cases you really need to use a Dremel on it.....

Where are you guys getting the BMW grips? I need to do that this winter.

BMW dealer...

DUH :icon_duh:

They were about $20 for the pair.

Hmmm, I'm in a section of PA that's more rural than Towanda :icon_eek: People 'round here don't even know that BMW MAKES motorsickles, LOL!

I'll have to find an online source...

Where are you guys getting the BMW grips? I need to do that this winter.

BMW dealer...

DUH :icon_duh:

They were about $20 for the pair.

Hmmm, I'm in a section of PA that's more rural than Towanda :icon_eek: People 'round here don't even know that BMW MAKES motorsickles, LOL!

I'll have to find an online source...

These guys carry BMW parts. Check Warchilds posts on this topic for the part #'s

bike bandit