CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pulling float bowls

Eric_The_Jew

Just a quick question before I go tearing shit apart. Do the XX's carbs have a drain screw for each float bowl?

The reason i'm asking is because I am pulling the pilot jets on my '98 model tonight, and i'll be doing it from the comfort of my living room :icon_biggrin: . Just wanted to be sure gas doesn't go pouring all over the carpet when I do this. (yes, I am aware my house is still going to smell like gas for a few days regardless)

Also, a ton of gas shouldn't pour out of the tank when I pull off the fuel line, correct? The vaccum operated petcock should stop the flow, yes?

One more thing....would you guys suggest valve grinding compound to use on the float bowl screws? I know these strip out easily on dirt bikes, but don't know if they're a pain to get of on the XX.

Sorry for the 20 questions.

I just had mine apart again (GROAN) in search of perfect running without too low mpg. They keep changing the gas twice a year. :icon_doh:

Yes each has a drain on the float bowl. I just remove the carb bank and take it outside and turn them upside down and back a few times to drain, much quicker.

I get the basement stinking of gas several times a year, pissing off the wife.

The vac. petcock should stop the flow with out vac. Good time to opp. check it.

For the bowl screws have a newer form fitting screwdriver and they should come out fine. If not, use an impact screwdriver.

I just had mine apart again (GROAN) in search of perfect running without too low mpg. They keep changing the gas twice a year. :icon_doh:

Yes each has a drain on the float bowl. I just remove the carb bank and take it outside and turn them upside down and back a few times to drain, much quicker.

I get the basement stinking of gas several times a year, pissing off the wife.

The vac. petcock should stop the flow with out vac. Good time to opp. check it.

For the bowl screws have a newer form fitting screwdriver and they should come out fine. If not, use an impact screwdriver.

Thanks for the advice, Pete. So it really isn't that much of a pain just to pull the whole carb bank?? I was told I could yank the bowls by simply removing the fuel tank and leaving the airbox intact. All I need to do for this project is access the pilot jets. Whaddya think? Pull the carbs or yank the bowls with the carbs and airbox intact?

I'll even pull the bank of carbs to adjust the pilot screws. I don't know how anyone can do anything under the carbs/over the engine/coolant pipes.

It's got to be WAY quicker to just remove the carbs.

While they're out, remove the pilot screw and slot them with a dremel so you can use a screwdriver.

Follow the manual and the only problem some have had is once the carb bands are loose the bank doesn't want to release from the engine. On reinstall, coat the rubber with grease for next time and they will fall off.

+1 on just removing the carbs. They are so easy to get out it's not worth fumbling around. Use a rocking motion to break them loose, also spray some wd40 around the intake boots to help break them loose.

Yelling, cussing and throwing stuff aroud th garage also aids in scaring them loose :icon_twisted: