CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Shocks

cbr1100xxflame

I have a questions about the front shocks...(corrected just for tomek springs/cartridges) :icon_biggrin:

When do you no that it is time to change them?

Do they have oil or what is in side?

Also have noticed that there is a little greasy mess sometimes from the fork seals is that the replce me sign?

I have noticed that the front shocks when hitting bumps feels like the bike is bottoming out or hitting with a thud??? :icon_wall:

The time is now.

I went with the Hyperpro springs and really like them. You need to disassemble the forks and clean everything up real well. Replace the seals and the springs refill with oil and it will be like a new bike.

If you don't want to pop for the Traxxion cartridges, I'd strongly recommend you send them off to someone like Dan Kyle or Jim Lindemann and have them revalved as well as sprung for your weight. A lot will depend on how much you weigh. Personally I didn't see much difference fron simply changing oil and springs, probably because I'm close to the weight the bike seemed to like already. The fork rework, OTOH, is like night and day.

If you don't want to pop for the Traxxion cartridges, I'd strongly recommend you send them off to someone like Dan Kyle or Jim Lindemann and have them revalved as well as sprung for your weight. A lot will depend on how much you weigh. Personally I didn't see much difference fron simply changing oil and springs, probably because I'm close to the weight the bike seemed to like already. The fork rework, OTOH, is like night and day.

Maybe I am behind the curve on this but do you have more information on Dan Kyle or Jim Lindemann? Whom are they and where can I find them and check out what they can do?

Maybe I am behind hte curve on this but do you have more information on Dan Kyle or Jim Lindemann? Whom are they and where can I find them and check out what they can do?

Both are very highly regarded in the performance and suspension community. They will take your forks and revalve/shim them, polish parts to reduce stiction, and spring them for your weight and riding style. I ordered my Penske shock from Jim Lindemann and had Kyle rework the forks (mainly because he was cheaper the Lindemann). Both do great work. Both will spend whatever time you need on the phone to make sure they understand what you need and you understand what they will do.

Dan Kyle

Lindemann Engineering

If you do a search you'll find both come very highly recommended.