CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chronic leaking left fork seal

BarryG

Had the fork seals replaced in this past May by speed shop after noticed left seal leaking oil.

The other day the same seal I noticed was leaking again (around 6K more miles now on the bike).

Same shop now has it.

They originally put the Ohlins springs in the forks last September. I'm guessing that maybe this had something to do with it. Of course they'll never admit to anything.

Anyone know what could be causing the left fork seal to leak? I don't wheelie the bike at at all or anything stupid.

Bike won't be looked at until Mon.

thx,

Did they use OEM fork seals? I had more than 40k on the seals on mine when I pitched it, no issues.

Anyway, a small burr, chip or flaw on the fork tube itself will cause that. Replace the seal, and the new one is damaged by the flaw on the fork tube. A close examination of the fork tube in question is in order.

Anyway, a small burr, chip or flaw on the fork tube itself will cause that. Replace the seal, and the new one is damaged by the flaw on the fork tube. A close examination of the fork tube in question is in order.

+1

+1

Yep... Use some fine steel wool on the tubes (by hand, going up and down the tube), and it'll take that burr down...

Or you can just put a bullet in it! :icon_twisted: (honestly, how long did you think it was going to be before somebody said that? :icon_evilgrin: )

Mike

Well somthing obviously isn't right since the left seal started leaking with only 12K mi on the bike. And now that both are replaced (seals), doing it again at 18K mi.

I have zero experience with forks, seals...etc. The speed shop that has it is supposedly the best in the area and been around for 20yrs and only work on sportbikes and the owner is a racer......so I'd think they could get to the bottom of the problem........have to wait and here what they say Mon or Tues.

Well somthing obviously isn't right since the left seal started leaking with only 12K mi on the bike. And now that both are replaced (seals), doing it again at 18K mi.

I have zero experience with forks, seals...etc. The speed shop that has it is supposedly the best in the area and been around for 20yrs and only work on sportbikes and the owner is a racer......so I'd think they could get to the bottom of the problem........have to wait and here what they say Mon or Tues.

Have them check the bushings as well. If the bushings are worn, it will allow extra movement in the forks that can wear out the seals earlier and allow fluid past the seals

Also make sure the pocket that the seal is pressed into is clean and has no corrosion. Just to make sure, give the outside of the seal a thin coat of permatex #2 (non-hardening). I've had oil leaak in this area if it's not right. Looks just like it leaks from between the seal and fork tube.

Also make sure the pocket that the seal is pressed into is clean and has no corrosion. Just to make sure, give the outside of the seal a thin coat of permatex #2 (non-hardening). I've had oil leaak in this area if it's not right. Looks just like it leaks from between the seal and fork tube.

Shop called me and said the left fork tube is pitted and is working the left seal.

Said OEM left fork tube and seal need to go on.

Nice expense....as long as I don't see anymore leaking on that left side.

The only warranty work ever done on my bike was to replace fork seals. No matter how often they were replaced, they kept on leaking until I replaced the pipes with new ones that didn't have damage from stone hits.

Some of that damage was so slight that I wasn't originally willing to believe that it was causing the leaking seals.

Finally, I installed new fork pipes, fork seals and.... Fork Gaiters

There are no longer any problems with leaking fork seals.

The only warranty work ever done on my bike was to replace fork seals. No matter how often they were replaced, they kept on leaking until I replaced the pipes with new ones that didn't have damage from stone hits.

Some of that damage was so slight that I wasn't originally willing to believe that it was causing the leaking seals.

Finally, I installed new fork pipes, fork seals and.... Fork Gaiters

There are no longer any problems with leaking fork seals.

thanks for the info....ok, dumb question of the day. Do those fork gaiters require much to install or do you basically just wrap them around the forks?