CBR1100XX.org Forum

Maintenance frequency

Canadian Bird

Recognizing what we "do what feels right" for our rides and we all ride differently in different climates, weather, on roads, and terrain, I'm curious. I do a great deal of touring but my chain and brake pads last longer than 16,000 kms. Perhaps an unanswereable question however, is it really necessary to replace the above so frequently concidering the price of chain and sprockets, and pads? Don't flame me!

Recognizing what we "do what feels right" for our rides and we all ride differently in different climates, weather, on roads, and terrain, I'm curious. I do a great deal of touring but my chain and brake pads last longer than 16,000 kms. Perhaps an unanswereable question however, is it really necessary to replace the above so frequently concidering the price of chain and sprockets, and pads? Don't flame me!

Things like that, I replace them when they're close to worn out, not usually by mileage... Although, if it looks like they are getting down there, I'll replace them before a long trip.

Mike

A quality, well maintained chain, on new sprockets, should go about 16K miles, not Km. I have 33K on my OEM brake pads and they still have more than 1/2 original thickness. I do take lots of long trips though. I remember a dealer in San Diego telling me my GS Adv needed brake pads at 55K miles, sold it at 71K still with the original pads.

A quality, well maintained chain, on new sprockets, should go about 16K miles, not Km. I have 33K on my OEM brake pads and they still have more than 1/2 original thickness. I do take lots of long trips though. I remember a dealer in San Diego telling me my GS Adv needed brake pads at 55K miles, sold it at 71K still with the original pads.

FWIW, my chain hadn'd been lubed at all, as far as I could see, for the first 5000 miles, before I got it, and it was still VERY good and stiff and everything at 23,000 miles, but I replaced it anyway this spring because I didn't want to worry about it going out over the summer, when I was on a long trip or something... Depends on the situations you ride in though... People in the desert won't get nearly as much mileage out of chains, because of the sand and dust...

Yep, I just replaced the factory front brake pads on Friday at just over 36000 miles, but I do a lot of highway... I had gone through almost 2 sets of rears though, because when the wife's on, I use more rear brake (when not pannic stopping), to settle the chassis on braking, and not have my balls dent the tank...

Mike

Agreed,

First chain replaced at 18K. Why? I was stupid and cleaned it with a degreaser and allowed a link to rust. Brakes? Just replaced all pads at 27K miles. There was still lots of pad, but I was taking a trip to the mountains. Inspect BOTH pads on the calipers. My bird had perfect wear on all pads, my Magna had a seized floating caliper, and one pad was great, the other worn out.

Clean and lube the chain, and look at the replace mark on the swingarm. If you are in the replacement marks, have a chain with stuck links, or see a rust color on the chain and rear wheel, then replace it.