CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain/Sprocket Lifespan

TechnoGecko

How many miles did you get out of your last chain and sproket? I just ended up replacing both the other day - had 28,000 on the sprocket and a little under 10,000 on the chain. The chain started binding at different places and after an entire can of chain cleaner and lube I gave up and just replaced it as well. The chain was in suprisingly bad shape for its age and mileage consiering I usually lube it before I ride.

I got about 25,000 miles out of mine. 42,000 km. But it wasn't totally worn like the

pics i attached. That came of the old Suzuki. I had to cut of 4 inches down

in Austria before I rode back to Norway. :icon_angel:

[attachmentid=4419] [attachmentid=4420] [attachmentid=4421]

post-3470-1161458352_thumb.jpg

post-3470-1161458374_thumb.jpg

post-3470-1161458411_thumb.jpg

I replaced the original chain and sprockets at 34,500 miles because I wanted to try and minimize some vibration that I was getting through the handgrips... not because they were anywhere close to needing replacement. Ultimately, I used a Project | One chain alignment tool to eliminate most of the vibration.

When replaced, the chain was less than 1/2 way through the green, there were no obvious tight spots, very little binding, and the sprockets looked like new.

I do use a Scottoiler with dual-injectors and don't care if I have to wipe a slight amount of lightweight oil from my rear rim once in a while.

I got about 25,000 miles out of mine. 42,000 km. But it wasn't totally worn like the

Now thats a worn sprocket! :icon_eek:

The rear sprocket would make a better circular saw blade than a rear sprocket! :icon_shifty:

Techno,

I would make a recommendation that you start lubing the chain after a ride and not before.

Should make a big difference. The chain needs to be warmed up so the lube can get inside where it needs to be and then cure or dry so that it is not all flung off the first mile or two.

Under 10,000 is really poor life.

I have always gotten at least 18,000 or better. I use regular PJ1 lube as needed and not every ride gets a lube job. I ride mine almost daily all year round.

My experience so far is that about 15 or 16K is it. Bought bike with 13K on it. New chain at 18K, another at 28K, this time with front sprocket. 34K now and at 40, I'll change the full set. Front, rear and chain. Alignment is critical as is proper lube. I'm using 90w140 synthetic gear oil now. It's messy to put on but clings like hell and really does a nice job. I carry a little squeeze bottle in the left bag and lube after one week of local riding or at the end of the day when on a trip. This chain seems to be holding up really well. DID X-ring, I don't remember the mode but it's gold in color. I have only had to adjust it 3 times in 6K miles.

Techno,

I would make a recommendation that you start lubing the chain after a ride and not before.

Should make a big difference. The chain needs to be warmed up so the lube can get inside where it needs to be and then cure or dry so that it is not all flung off the first mile or two.

Under 10,000 is really poor life.

I have always gotten at least 18,000 or better. I use regular PJ1 lube as needed and not every ride gets a lube job. I ride mine almost daily all year round.

Ya, this chain died pretty fast. Last chain we squeezed almost 16,000 out of - so this one dying at little under 10,000 was disappointing.

This subject has been beaten to the death,but seems to me that some members are still using substandard quality chains.I hardly maintain my chains,chainlube from time to time,or about once per 1000 miles.When it gets really dirty or when you can not tell it is gold plated I clean it with WD40.That is it. I ride daily for about 2/3 of the years,shine or rain.I`ve never had a chain last less then 22-24 k miles. As far as DID chains, unless it is ZWM and now ZWM2 it is not worth all the labor.You `ll only get half of the miles with VM chain.

Not all chains are created equal,putting new chain, sprockets is PITA filty job.

Alwayes replace front sprocket,steel rears seems to last forever.

Looks like the chain and sprockets off my first bike Yamaha XS 250 except the teeth on the front in that picture are twice the length :icon_eek: - eventually replaced them when the chain started slipping round the front sprocket under acceleration :icon_doh: I have since learned and will take good care of the chain on this bike having so much more power :icon_think:

My OEM chain had streched quite a bit by the time I had 14K on it. The sprockets were in decent shape though. I cheated a little bit. I put on a +2 rear aluminum sprocket and got another 3K hard miles on it untill the aluminum was due for replacement. I could have just replaced the rear sprocket at that time, but I did the whole sha-bang instead ( front 16t, oem DID chain, and 45t rear ). The old chain was in good shape other than being streched.