CBR1100XX.org Forum

knocking out a TINY door ding in sheet metal

N1K

I have the tiniest of tiny door dings on my lower of my truck box between the wheel well and front of the box.

I tried to take a picture, but its so tiny it wouldn't show up...

But being on the side of the truck box, I have EASY access to behind the ding. Its about a 1/2" long and barely noticeable, but can I just take a rubber mallet from behind the sheet metal and tap it out? Or is it not that easy?

I certainly don't want to make it worse. Its only noticeable now if you get REALLY close (like 2 feet away)and at the right angle

There are companies that come to your house or work that specialize in minor dent repair. Your dealer can probably recommend one. I've seen these guys work wonders.

I've also tried to do it myself, but usually made things worse :icon_doh:

N1k,

very familiar with this kind of dent removal. The largest national company in this specialty

business is "Dent Wizard"

I have watched them massage out all kinds of dents and dings with perfect results. Dent Wizard always sets up displays at conventions I attend with a car and a bowling ball suspended on a rope!! A good tech can massage a 6" dent out in less than 10 minutes. the trick is being able to get access behind the dent. Seems yours would be a one minute job from your description.

They use special tools with various shapes and size rollers on the end of a rod, They start on the outside of the ding and roll it in towards the center of the ding. Little at a time working all around the peremeter until tey get to the center. Also they do Not look at the ding directly when massaging it but instead suction cup mount a small mirror on the other side of the ding with the ding in the middle between their head and the mirror. They watch the mirror image of the ding as they begin to massage the ding out.

It is amazing to see it. When done the surface is completely perfect no matter what angle you look at it.

Hope that helps.

I am going to get two small dime size dings removed from my Honda very soon myself.

I have the tiniest of tiny door dings on my lower of my truck box between the wheel well and front of the box.

But being on the side of the truck box, I have EASY access to behind the ding. Its about a 1/2" long and barely noticeable, but can I just take a rubber mallet from behind the sheet metal and tap it out? Or is it not that easy?

I certainly don't want to make it worse. Its only noticeable now if you get REALLY close (like 2 feet away)and at the right angle

Sell it.

Fucking truck is made out of old Miller Lite beer cans. Piece of shit!

could be worse, your bed could be plastic like my 2004 silverado stepside. I backed into my gas meter and the entire quarter panel behind the rear wheel shattered like pane glass. I crazy glued that bitch back together. :) I guess overall it's a good thing the bed was plastic, being that myhouse is still standing...

N1k,

very familiar with this kind of dent removal. The largest national company in this specialty

business is "Dent Wizard"

I have watched them massage out all kinds of dents and dings with perfect results. Dent Wizard always sets up displays at conventions I attend with a car and a bowling ball suspended on a rope!! A good tech can massage a 6" dent out in less than 10 minutes. the trick is being able to get access behind the dent. Seems yours would be a one minute job from your description.

They use special tools with various shapes and size rollers on the end of a rod, They start on the outside of the ding and roll it in towards the center of the ding. Little at a time working all around the peremeter until tey get to the center. Also they do Not look at the ding directly when massaging it but instead suction cup mount a small mirror on the other side of the ding with the ding in the middle between their head and the mirror. They watch the mirror image of the ding as they begin to massage the ding out.

It is amazing to see it. When done the surface is completely perfect no matter what angle you look at it.

Hope that helps.

I am going to get two small dime size dings removed from my Honda very soon myself.

============================

I agree. They removed a couple of door dings form our van in less than 30 min, for about $60.

Put one of the bullet hole stickers on it , you will forget about the dent in a day.

+1 On the Dent Wizard guys. It is amazing what they can do with dents and dings. I've seen them drill tiny holes in the interior of a door jam, and insert rods and levers; which they use to remove dents with perfection. Friend of mine used them to get a dent out of his motorcycle tank.

+1 On the Dent Wizard guys. It is amazing what they can do with dents and dings. I've seen them drill tiny holes in the interior of a door jam, and insert rods and levers; which they use to remove dents with perfection. Friend of mine used them to get a dent out of his motorcycle tank.

Speaking on dents on motorcycle tanks - what also works well are those Pops-a-dent things you see on TV for $19.99 - took a big but shallow dent out of the bird tank when I first got it. Doesnt work so well on the deeper stuff.