CBR1100XX.org Forum

OIL CHANGE

TFT

Do you guys change your oil before winterizing the bike or in the spring when you start riding again?

I've been changing it in the spring but was wondering if that's the best policy.

I do an oil change (no filter) before storage. Then in the spring, I do a complete including filter. The reason I don't do the filter for the winter is the lack of use. The reason I do both in the summer is 1) I didn't do the filter in the winter, and 2) the oil gets contaminated by humidity, gas etc from the engine. It's best to get it out of there.

But like everything else, these are opinions.

I also change my oil in the fall just before storage. My reasoning is so the engine is not being subjected to the acids and contamination of the old oil and theoretically the oil should be still new for the most part when you bring it out of storage. I also just changed my coolant at the same time. I changed the coolant by the directions in my shop manual but I did one extra procedure I took a small clear tube and ran it down the radiator opening and siphoned the bottom, if you notice the lower radiator hose is not at the very bottom of the radiator.

This is a good question.

I have heard to do it before and after storage. Before, for the reasons mentioned earlier, to get the contaminants out, and after to get the condensation, etc out.

I am not sure if the 2nd change is necessary in my case because I usually start it and try to ride it at least around the block a couple of times every 3-4 weeks in the dead of winter.. Otherwise, it connected to a batter tender and covered.