CBR1100XX.org Forum

6mm Shim

Aurora

I am glad someone brought up this topic. I have read some old threads about raising the rear shock 6mm, what exactly dose this accomplish to make the XX handle better. I know it raises the back of the bike as far has handling sake what does it do i.e. make the bike loose, tight, please explain. Thank you for any insight anyone might have.

I did it on my XX just before Dutch got it. I thought it was good and helped turn in but I found that I could corner with greater speed which started to show the weakness in the front suspension. Since there are no adjustments you can't set the SAG properly or do anything to compensate in the front.

If you want the bike to turn in quicker and your not to short (i'm short) then it's a good mod and only takes about an hour...

It is also slightly more difficult to wheelie, which can be a mixed blessing: if you like to wheelie it takes a little more effort, but switching to a 16T sprocket makes wheelies easy again, however for heavy throttle riding the 6mm shimm helps keeps the front planted a little better. Otherwise the only drawback is the added height. For refrence i am 6'0" with a 34" inseam and i can hardly tell a differnce on ride height with the 6mm shimm turn in is awsome and this mod costs less then a dollar, and improves turn in greatly

Thanks for helping me know what the effects of the 6mm shim. I have noticed on the bird that it does need some help cutting into the corners, if it helps with that I will be amazed. I went ahead and did the job very easy as I am an auto body tech I found the perfect size shims they measure about 1in. square and are slotted it only took about 15 min. I could tell the difference in the height but not a big deal as I am tall. Soon as the weather clears up I will give a try. Thank you for the help. :icon_razz:

I dont know what tires you are running but they will make alot of difference as well. Well cupped tires drasticly effect the handeling on the XX.

I just installed a fresh pair of Stradas, much better handeling tire than the O.E.M. Dunflops as I like to call them. the back of my bike got loose on more than one occasion with the Dunlops, a couple times I had to check my drawers for skid marks. I don't know what Handa was thinking installing the Dunlops on the XX.

I'm going to have to be the voice of decent here. Raising the center of gravity has certain effects that may make the bike feel top heavy and unstable at big lean angles. What you should be after is ideal rake and trail numbers combined with a chassis ride height that makes the rider feel comfortable. Higher is not always better. Raising the rear a little and dropping the front a little (it's a 3-1 ratio) can help keep the bike's extraordinarlity nuetral steering intact. It's also important to be aware of spring rates, pre-load and tire wear. The important thing is to first find a tire that makes you feel comfortable and then play around with the geometry and NEVER go out and test ride it after making changes, your brain will play tricks on you. Make the changes after a ride (take notes), and forget about it and wait for the next time you say "Damn this thing is working good" or "Man what's wrong with me today"then go back to your notes and systematically work with what changes you made.