CBR1100XX.org Forum

Match Mounting Tires

MrBadExxample

It is a good idea but bike tires seem to be much better than car tires.

Alot of them are basicly balanced from factory. Some people claim if you balance your rim you can put any good quality tire on and not need to balance it.

Of course if you are buying cheep crap for tires this wouldn't work so good.

I thought you were going to show how we seat large tractor tires in the field. Get tire on rim, lay on side and seat lower bead. Then take a can of starter fluid and spray inside tire. Spray a line of fluid away from tire.

Take out a MATCH, and ignite the line of starter fluid. Expanding gas from the starter fluid seats the bead. If it doesn't, the explosion is usually not too bad. :icon_duh:

I think it is a good idea, but bike tires do seem to have much better quality than car tires.

As mentioned, many manufacturers ship tires that are completely in balance now. My Pilot Roads didn't have match marks, so I had to do some research... and found that good tires are so well made now that match marks aren't required.

Don't get me started on the ceramic bead discussion going on at ThumperTalk.

Just mounted a Metzler Z6 rear. Lined up the tire mark with the valve stem, and when checked, no further balancing was required, it was dead on.

Just mounted a Metzler Z6 rear. Lined up the tire mark with the valve stem, and when checked, no further balancing was required, it was dead on.

You got lucky. The valve stem is no more likely to be the heavy spot than any other random spot on the rim. I've had occasions where I needed no weight, but I always check the rim for the heavy spot and mount the tire accordingly.

None of the tires I've used lately have had an alignment mark. I just mount them, rotate them to get the minimum imbalance and add whatever weights are required.