CBR1100XX.org Forum

You want to know how long Pilot Powers last??

bartonmd

This rear is just touching the wear bars on one side at 7450 miles. There is stilll about 0.040" until the wear bars on the opposite side, because this tire was a little bit out of round, so the one side wore faster...

IPB Image

This front has right at 10,000 on it, and is nearing the wear bars right off center, on the cupped part, but the tread is still about twice the height of the wear bars..

IPB Image

FWIW, there are no drag strip runs on these tires, and I do trail brake with the front... These were at 42/41 commuting, and 36/35 running corners. There is about 500 miles 2-up on these, and maybe 1000 running corners, the other is on the highway... BTW, I didn't take them to the drag strip, but that's not to say that I was easy on them either... I also get about 10,000 miles on a rear Pilot Road...

Mike

Jeez, look at the width of those chicken strips! Don't they have any corners

in your part of the world?

J/K. NBL. :icon_biggrin:

You might want to look closer... there's about 1/16" on the left side, and none on the right side... The front has about 3/8" on both sides... In fact, the arrows and Michelin man are almost worn completely off on the right side of the rear... the light part in the center is just how far over I got on the road in front of my house... it's dirtier than the other roads around...

Mike

I don't know how you do that Mike!!! I run the same tire pressure as you and mike look like that with 4k miles on them. Oh, and I DO love the grip!!!

A couple things...

1. I have a carb'd bird, so the power on/off is more smooth, so that's a little easier on tires, and also, I use the cruise a lot on the highway, so I'm not always accelerating, and decelerating...

2. I try and doo a lot of my acceleration while leaned over... gas it hard right after the apex, and I'm almost up to the between corner speed by the time I'm straght vertical...

Mike

You might want to look closer... there's about 1/16" on the left side, and none on the right side... The front has about 3/8" on both sides... In fact, the arrows and Michelin man are almost worn completely off on the right side of the rear... the light part in the center is just how far over I got on the road in front of my house... it's dirtier than the other roads around...

Mike

Did you notice the "J/K"? :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Did you notice the "J/K"? :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, but I thought that was you joking about there being no corners here... It's cool...

Mike

mine have just under 10K on them and ready for news one, love em though

you're also running a 190, so youve got more tire onthe ground in a straight line...

I did also leave out one big reason for them lasting so long (so does Travis, I think)... I ride in the rain and cold a lot, so they don't get as hot as somebody who lives where it doesn't rain a lot, or is doing high speed on the highway when it's 100 degrees...

Mike

Yeah, but I thought that was you joking about there being no corners here... It's cool...

Mike

No, I wasn't given you a hard time about the lack of corners, I was just joking with you.

Sorry if it didn't come off that way...

Mike

No, I wasn't given you a hard time about the lack of corners, I was just joking with you.

Sorry if it didn't come off that way...

na, it's cool... In general, people think that Indiana doesn't have any corners, and in Northern Indiana, asside from L-turns around people's farms, and around rivers, they're right... Southern IN is actually OK though... it's not the mountains, but it's OK for "flat lands."

That's the thing I REALLY do like about the Powers though... There's a series of corners both close to my house, and there are a series of them right before I get to work... With the Powers, there's no "are my tires hot enough to hang off the bike and drag peg feelers?" You just DO IT and don't have to worry about the tires...

Mike

mine have just under 10K on them and ready for news one, love em though

you're also running a 190, so youve got more tire onthe ground in a straight line...

I did also leave out one big reason for them lasting so long (so does Travis, I think)... I ride in the rain and cold a lot, so they don't get as hot as somebody who lives where it doesn't rain a lot, or is doing high speed on the highway when it's 100 degrees...

Mike

It also has to do with Travis weighing in at 78.2 lbs :icon_razz:

Thanks for the follow up on the powers Mike!

Are you gonna stick with the Powers or try something else?

I've got a set of diablo front/diablo strada rear in my garage, ready to be mounted, but that's just to see how I like them before I say "fuck everything else, I'm JUST running Powers"

Mike

Any cupping? Or if there was cupping, about when did it occur? If the tires did cup, how bad to the bars shake at 45-50 mph on deacceleration?

I need new tires, just tore threw a set of D208's in 4000 miles. Back has tread, but front is cupping really really bad.

Thanks for the post, this just re-confirms that this is a good tire to go with. The fact that you run in rain and cold also tells me its a good tire for what I am wanting. :icon_dance:

The Pirelli Diablo stradas do great in the rain as well. The weekend I brought the bike home I was riding through a pretty strong rain for the next 6 hours and they kept the bird on track with no issues.

Any cupping? Or if there was cupping, about when did it occur? If the tires did cup, how bad to the bars shake at 45-50 mph on deacceleration?

I need new tires, just tore threw a set of D208's in 4000 miles. Back has tread, but front is cupping really really bad.

Thanks for the post, this just re-confirms that this is a good tire to go with. The fact that you run in rain and cold also tells me its a good tire for what I am wanting. :icon_dance:

There was some cupping on the front, but that's largly just a function of how a motorcycle front tire wears... It is not NEAR as bad cupping as the Dunlops, but it's still there... FWIW, I don't feel it at all in corners, and there is zero decel wobble... but then again, I did the $40 tapered steering head bearings from All-Balls Racing... Best $40 I've spent on the bike, although it did take a couple hours to install them...

Very cool Sarg... I'm interested to experience the Diablo/Strada mix... They'll go on this weekend, I think...

Mike

[ I'm interested to experience the Diablo/Strada mix... They'll go on this weekend, I think...

Mike

You will regret it. I've just sold yesterday my 4K miles Diablos for 70 Euros (bought them for 370 installed so everybody over there stop complaining about tire prices and wear and yes I know I've written that before :icon_hand: ).

The rear was in its half but the front was about 2/3 of its life,but I couldn't stand them anymore because of :

a)their 'slow' handling (especially the front)

b)their tendency to self-inflate (mainly te rear) which shows excessive movement of the carcass (this is the main reason for a tire to get hot :icon_pray: ).

I don't think thet match the XX well, maybe are better on a smaller, lighter bike.

Moreover, the rear offers less traction than the Power or BT12&BT14 (ok the last one is good for only 1.5k) I used before.

Instead, I put back my half-worn, siting for 3 months Powers.

Probably, next set will be Powers 2CT.

Don't know first hand about the stradas (and perhaps I never will)[attachmentid=4225]

post-1474-1161020027_thumb.jpg

[ I'm interested to experience the Diablo/Strada mix... They'll go on this weekend, I think...

Mike

You will regret it. I've just sold yesterday my 4K miles Diablos for 70 Euros (bought them for 370 installed so everybody over there stop complaining about tire prices and wear and yes I know I've written that before :icon_hand: ).

The rear was in its half but the front was about 2/3 of its life,but I couldn't stand them anymore because of :

a)their 'slow' handling (especially the front)

b)their tendency to self-inflate (mainly te rear) which shows excessive movement of the carcass (this is the main reason for a tire to get hot :icon_pray: ).

I don't think thet match the XX well, maybe are better on a smaller, lighter bike.

Moreover, the rear offers less traction than the Power or BT12&BT14 (ok the last one is good for only 1.5k) I used before.

Instead, I put back my half-worn, siting for 3 months Powers.

Probably, next set will be Powers 2CT.

Don't know first hand about the stradas (and perhaps I never will)[attachmentid=4225]

I'm going to run the Diablo front, Diablo Strada rear, so I don't know if it'll be different or not, but people in the 'states who run the Stradas don't seem to have any complaints, so we will see... In any case, I just wanted to try them before I say "All Powers, all the time" because there's nothing like saying "These are the best tires ever... (but I've never tried anything else)"

Mike

You are right Mike, if you don't try you won't know.

I'll be waiting for your comments, I am curious if you observe anything similar whith the strada rear.