CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch noises..?

Leftlaner

Recently bought a '97 bird, and it runs great! Will change tires, replace the steering head bearings with tapered roller bearings, and the usual winter service (oil, plugs, filters etc). There is only ONE thing that bugs me with this bike. When in neutral, there is a distinct change in the sound when I engage / disengage the clutch lever. From what I've been told, this is quite common on 'Birds, and Honda's generally..?

It sounds like a worn thrust-bearing, so replacing both clutch bearings should take care of the "humming" in neutral gear? However, I also get a "rattling" sound as I slip out the clutch in 1st and 2nd gear (low rev). I can also sense some vibrations in the foot beg, perfectly synchronized with the rattling sounds. Are these two sounds related to the same cause --> clutch bearings? :icon_think: What do you think?

Check this one out!

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37551

Godt å se andre nordmenn her. Velkommen.

Det er nok kammkjedestrammeren som er slakk.

Hope to see you arround.. :icon_cool:

Hey there, fellow rider from the North! :icon_cool:

Thanks for the tip, but I doubt that the CCT is the problem here. CCT noise usually appears around 3500-4000rpm, and isn't affected by the clutch/gear. "My" rattling sound ONLY appears when I'm letting out the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear, BELOW 3000rpm.. Furthermore, the sound appears to get LOUDER as the engine heats up, as opposed to the CCT noise. Both the humming and rattling sound seem to escalate as the engine heats up. I guess this either has to do with the fact that the metal is expanding, or that the oil gets thinner when the engine reaches normal operating temperature..?

PS. MCbamse, do you hang out on the Norwegian MC forum too?

Check this one out!

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37551

Godt å se andre nordmenn her. Velkommen.

Det er nok kammkjedestrammeren som er slakk.

Hope to see you arround.. :icon_cool:

Hey there, fellow rider from the North! :icon_cool:

Thanks for the tip, but I doubt that the CCT is the problem here. CCT noise usually appears around 3500-4000rpm, and isn't affected by the clutch/gear. "My" rattling sound ONLY appears when I'm letting out the clutch in 1st or 2nd gear, BELOW 3000rpm.. Furthermore, the sound appears to get LOUDER as the engine heats up, as opposed to the CCT noise. Both the humming and rattling sound seem to escalate as the engine heats up. I guess this either has to do with the fact that the metal is expanding, or that the oil gets thinner when the engine reaches normal operating temperature..?

PS. MCbamse, do you hang out on the Norwegian MC forum too?

Haven't found any good Norwegian forums yet. Got any tip?

Bamse, Vennesla MC, tidligere Sola MC :icon_angel:

Rode a Vstrom for awhile that had this same type of problem....

was a bad clutch basket.

Was it exactely the same symptoms that I've described? The clutch basket, huh.. Hmm, definately worth an inspection once I pop up the clutch cover anyway, to replace the bearings..

Is this a common thing with Birds?

Rode a Vstrom for awhile that had this same type of problem....

was a bad clutch basket.

Was it exactely the same symptoms that I've described? The clutch basket, huh.. Hmm, definately worth an inspection once I pop up the clutch cover anyway, to replace the bearings..

Is this a common thing with Birds?

Was exactly as you described.

I have only heard clutch basket mentioned once or twice around here since I joined up but I don't frequent the garage. When it comes to the technical stuff I don't have the experience.

However, since this sounded strikingly familiar I thought I would throw it out there for you to consider.