CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chopping rear turn signals?

Zero Knievel

I put on the Wingrack2 and got the optional turn signals. Another 'Bird owner I know just chopped his rear turn signals.

I started on one, got the rubber neck off, but the mounting bolt is in the rubber part. I see no way to mount the shortened version back on the bike now.

Anyone done this who can walk me through it? :icon_eh:

I did mine. I don't remember exactly, but I know that I removed the rubber extender leaving only the plastic signal. I was then able to use the bolt that holds the signal to the rubber stalk to mound the shortened signal directly to the plastic fender. It no longer has the little tab or whatever that keeps them from spinning, so what I did was put a tiny amount of silicone under the signal and tightened it down as tight as I could. Never moved and looks much better.

IPB Image

That's what I suspected.

Take off the metal frame that holds the rubber extension to the plastic turn signal and get new bolts to use the existing screwhole in the plastic part. Perhaps a dab of silicone sealant.

Thanks.

I cut the the metal mounting brackets out of the rubber , brazed on a couple screws on the back of each to act as anchors. I then reinstalled the mounding brackets in the plastic stocks by filling the stocks with marglass and inseting the modified brackets. The short signals now bolt on like stock. I added a tiny bead of black silicone around them just for looks.

The winters are long here .

Herb