CBR1100XX.org Forum

While you're down there...

TX1100F

So I'm changing the oil for the first time today. The left and right and lower fairings are off. Anything extra I could/should quickly check while it's a tad naked? We're heading out to eat. I'll check later tonight for your collective ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Cobwebs.

HEY NOW!!! It's sitting at 8K. I bought it ~5K a couple months ago. I blew out the cobwebs the first week getting all squidly and stuntin' and shit. :icon_wink:

Yeah, I'm checking the hoses and connections that are accessible. Also hosed it down. Man!!! That radiator was loaded with dirt! I guess I know what to douche better next time it's gets a bath. -and the oil cooler.

I removed the fairings for good measure. Figured I'd do it the "correct Honda method" the first time then look for shortcuts once I know the bike better.

Thanks all!

I specially ground down my filter wrench for the XX and said hello to 12 minute oil changes. My filter wrench before required some serious wiggling to get on and off the filter, I grinded about 1/4" of and its a breeze now!

I specially ground down my filter wrench for the XX and said hello to 12 minute oil changes. My filter wrench before required some serious wiggling to get on and off the filter, I grinded about 1/4" of and its a breeze now!

I noticed that. Great idea! :icon_clap:

Oil filters should be removable by hand. The sealing ring is not a gasket, and only needs modest pressure to seal.True, they can get stuck, and I do own some strap wrenches for them,but normally filters should come off if you have reasonable hand strength.

Read the instructions, and only hand tighten. the only leak I've had in 30 years is when the old seal stayed on an engine block, and it leaked immediately. I do like to prefill the filters to help speed up the time to pressure after a change.

Next time, leave the fairings on. Lay on the ground next to the bike and you can reach up and get the filter with all the plastic in place. If it's stuck, there is room to drive a screwdriver into it to get it to pop loose then spin it off the rest of the way by hand.

Oil filters should be removable by hand. The sealing ring is not a gasket, and only needs modest pressure to seal.True, they can get stuck, and I do own some strap wrenches for them,but normally filters should come off if you have reasonable hand strength.

Read the instructions, and only hand tighten. the only leak I've had in 30 years is when the old seal stayed on an engine block, and it leaked immediately. I do like to prefill the filters to help speed up the time to pressure after a change.

I like to give mine a 1/4 to tighten, it's rare, but you'v never truly seen God, untill your oil filter backs off, and oil gets on your back tire.....I myself use the hose clamp and tie wire trick.... just to be on the safe side...

The easiest way to remove the filter is the wrench that pivots like pliers. Just bring tool up thru bottom of cowl, and look thru opening on side of fairing so you don't even have to get on your back.

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/...h&Submit=Go

Even though it comes from Harbor Freight, it is one of the better tools in the store.

I like to tighten my filter by hand, then use the wrench to snug it against the block- very easy to break loose when you have the magic tool next oil change. For me, it is hard to get a good grip on the filter to trust hand tight only.

I haven't timed myself doing an oil change, but I think under 10 minutes is doable.

Randy

The easiest way to remove the filter is the wrench that pivots like pliers. Just bring tool up thru bottom of cowl, and look thru opening on side of fairing so you don't even have to get on your back.

http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/...h&Submit=Go

Even though it comes from Harbor Freight, it is one of the better tools in the store.

I like to tighten my filter by hand, then use the wrench to snug it against the block- very easy to break loose when you have the magic tool next oil change. For me, it is hard to get a good grip on the filter to trust hand tight only.

I haven't timed myself doing an oil change, but I think under 10 minutes is doable.

Randy

Yep, same tool I used, got my at Fleet Farm for $.99 :icon_dance: in one of their bargin bins...

I also give that extra 1/4 turn after making double sure u don't double gasket :icon_doh: ...

I had a radiator cap failure on my cbr1000f and the overflow dumped fluid all over the rear tire, i just saw Elvis though :icon_eek: ...