CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

exskibum

Anyone run the Pilot Power 2CT yet?? That's the dual compound, softer on the shoulders tire they have had out for at least a part of this riding season. I really like the Powers on my XX, but the rear tire only goes about 4,000 miles on the Bird.

What I'm wondering, and can't tell from the Michelin and tire suppliers' sites, is how the center and shoulder compounds compare to a regular Pilot Power. I.e., is the center the same and the shoulders softer, or are the shoulders of the tire comparable to a Pilot Power and the center comparable to a Pilot Road? I'd be really interested in this tire if it's the best of both worlds: P.R. like in the center, with the grip of the Power on the shoulders.

Anyone run the Pilot Power 2CT yet?? That's the dual compound, softer on the shoulders tire they have had out for at least a part of this riding season. I really like the Powers on my XX, but the rear tire only goes about 4,000 miles on the Bird.

What I'm wondering, and can't tell from the Michelin and tire suppliers' sites, is how the center and shoulder compounds compare to a regular Pilot Power. I.e., is the center the same and the shoulders softer, or are the shoulders of the tire comparable to a Pilot Power and the center comparable to a Pilot Road? I'd be really interested in this tire if it's the best of both worlds: P.R. like in the center, with the grip of the Power on the shoulders.

I think from reading the press material, that the center is like a regular Power, and the sides are softer...

Mike

I have a friend who is running them now, and he prefers the standard Powers. The profile is different and he finds them too sharp in steering. He has a 6mm shim on the rear shock so steering is already a little sharper than stock. They are softer than the powers on the edges and similar in the middle.

I have a friend who is running them now, and he prefers the standard Powers. The profile is different and he finds them too sharp in steering. He has a 6mm shim on the rear shock so steering is already a little sharper than stock. They are softer than the powers on the edges and similar in the middle.

depending on where you live, and where you ride, you might want the sharper steering... like trying to muscle a 500lb motorcycle back and forth on switchbacks and esses... Having said that, the standard Powers are very neutral and steer quicker than anything I've ever personally ridden on a 'bird...

Mike

I think from reading the press material, that the center is like a regular Power, and the sides are softer...

While I couldn't be sure, I got that same impression, Mike. And thanks for that feedback, Dave -- you guys have probably had them longer down under than we've had them available here. I sure wish they'd give us the compound and profile of a Pilot Power coupled with a center band of a Pilot Road compound. To me, that seems like it would be a perfect tire for the rear of a Blackbird, especially with a regular Power up front.

I've run the medium race powers and believe that the new TC's are mediums with power tread pattern. The best place to ask would be over on the Sportbiketracktime forum. Monte(STTGuy) is the US Michelin guy.

If I see him this weekend I'll try and remember to ask.

Found some info from Monte

Well Gavin...

A bit more info (your skill level) would help.

On a 749 I would go with the new Pilot Power 2CT in a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear or if you are budget minded... regular Pilot Powers in the same size(s)

The 2CT (2 compound technology) has 20% softer (more sticky) compound on te outside 10% of the tire. This offers increased grip on smoother tracks.

This combo will take you up to a mid pack A group pace with no drama, you do not need (nor do we suggest) tha you use warmers, they work very well in damp, wet and dry conditions and they offer excellent "feel".

I will go so far as to say that the the Pilot Power front is the most forgiving and pridictible front tire I have ever used. Period.

When the rears "go-off" they do so slowly.

Added plus... Powers seem nearly immune to heat cycle deterioration.

Found some info from Monte

Well Gavin...

A bit more info (your skill level) would help.

On a 749 I would go with the new Pilot Power 2CT in a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear or if you are budget minded... regular Pilot Powers in the same size(s)

The 2CT (2 compound technology) has 20% softer (more sticky) compound on te outside 10% of the tire. This offers increased grip on smoother tracks.

This combo will take you up to a mid pack A group pace with no drama, you do not need (nor do we suggest) tha you use warmers, they work very well in damp, wet and dry conditions and they offer excellent "feel".

I will go so far as to say that the the Pilot Power front is the most forgiving and pridictible front tire I have ever used. Period.

When the rears "go-off" they do so slowly.

Added plus... Powers seem nearly immune to heat cycle deterioration.

fuckin' score!

Mike