CBR1100XX.org Forum

Missed 2nd.

pdsw60

On my way home from work this morning. I was winding it up pretty good and somehow missed second. Revs never got over 10k. I let the revs come down and try going to second. It made a bad grinding sound as it went in to second. I was still going about 50 mph. It shift fine after this, what do ya'll think, anything to worry about?

I wouldn't make a habbit out of it, but it happens...

The thing to do when you miss second is: let the clutch out while it's in neutral (so the transmission input shaft is turning the same rpm as the engine, instead of turning the same rpm the engine was turning before you shifted... like 10k) and match revs to whre it would be in second at that road speed, then pull the clutch in and shift into second... This shift should be less notchy than the 1-2 shift if done like this...

Mike

On my way home from work this morning. I was winding it up pretty good and somehow missed second. Revs never got over 10k. I let the revs come down and try going to second. It made a bad grinding sound as it went in to second. I was still going about 50 mph. It shift fine after this, what do ya'll think, anything to worry about?

I've done it a number of times (about 4). I got an almighty bang when it went in. Still seems to be fine. I just don't do wheelstands anymore. Because of this I usually shortshift into second now rather than winding it out in first. It seems to happen when I change into second at high revs. ...and yes, I did positive changes. No damage at all from what I can tell after about 10,000 Kms, but I don't want it to happen again.