CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need an opinion based on experience please.

beondwacko

Hi folks.

It's beyond that time finally to do the chain and sprockets on the 01'. I'm looking for experienced opinions on various brands of sprockets. I'd like to go with AFAM, but I have not found a seller with line at a decent price. I'll be looking some more this week. I need to stick with steel and not aluminum for longevity, but I would like a semi light steel rear sprocket.

Partmonster (Louie, congrats again on the newest little monster to your clan ) had mentioned to me that although the Sunstar peices look like crap and are heavy as all hell, they are also tough as nails. I have no experience with either JT or Parts Unlimited peices. Renthal I think only makes aluminum.

There's brand called Tri-Metal that I had seen on a few bikes , but I can't find out much about them. Those are some nice peices with A hardened steel outer ring on an aluminum alloy center. Trick stuff, but only if I can find them.

Post up and share the experiences. I'll be ordering something by next week I hope.

If I had it to do over (read as "next time" :icon_rolleyes: ) I would spend the bucks and at minimum use the OEM front sprocket from Honda. The whine from the SunStar I used is not obnoxious but it is annoying sometimes. And just to match it, I think I would do an OEM rear too. :icon_think: So much for the big, big world of experimentation. :icon_hand: :icon_lol:

I can still get the Sidewinders for $109.95 + $10 shipping. Send me a PM if you're interested, and I'll have them check availability.

As for front sprockets, I've used JT's twice now, with good results. Seem to hold up better than OEM after the same mileage.

I use JT Sprockets. 16T front 45T rear. They are the JT steel sprockets and i imagine they will last a very long time. The 16T is awsome for acceleration but I have bounced the rev limited a couple of times and I NEVER did that with the 17T sprocket. Also the 16T makes your speedo quite a ways off. I tour with my 16T and it doesnt bother me I have 2bros exhaust and the added revs arnt annoying to me really. i just love ALWAYS being right in the power

I've got a chrome plated rear sprocket and it looks sharp, I paired it with a DID gold X-ring chain and the chrome and gold really look good with the Carbon Fiber Two-Bros my mid pipes are slightly gold. I have 3000 miles on this combo and so far so good. the only neg I have with my set up is the DID 110link chain was too long and 109 would have been too short. So I just mounted the chain in the nearly worn out position and rode it like that for about 2000 miles the chain streteched just enough to take out the extra link and now it fits perfectly.

I guess then that most people say that the JT's don't whine too much then. For the price, I can't go wrong. The sidewinder is a bit out of my price range at the moment I hate to say. I wouldn't mind doing a 17T/47 ( that's what I have now ) combo, but a stock 110 link chain won't be long enough for that without the axle being jammed all the way forward. Maybe.