CBR1100XX.org Forum

My nitrous install

Furbird

My second newbie thread, this is in response to a request as to how I did my nitrous install. There's two ways to do this on a sportbike, the normal way and the way I did it :lol:

Most motorcycle nitrous systems are dry kits. They fog the airbox with a 40 HP shot, and you have to buy a power commander and go 2 bars rich on WOT. That's cool, if you want a 40 shot. Not enough for me. So I decided to get a direct port kit.

Now most people pass out when I tell them I have nitrous on a bike, I have to get out the shocker paddles when I tell them it's a 70 shot, and they are on full life support when I say direct port. A lot of people have nitrous where I'm from, but most of them are plates, or single wet kit nozzles, etc. When you tell them direct port, they are impressed. When you tell them direct port on a bike, they just start acting wacky.

What I bought was actually an old direct port kit off a turbo funny bike. This guy was using it to spool the turbo, and it was jetted for maybe a 50 shot. The problem is this kit has all plastic lines, with funnel jets, which are next to impossible to find, and he had lost a jet. So I found a site where the guy jetted his direct port kit at the distribution block, that way he could get more consistent flow to each cylinder. So I converted my distribution blocks so that I could do this, and hooked it up originally with a 40 shot. Well, that was cool while you are on the gas, but when you let off the gas it would kill the motor because the jets were too rich. OK, no problem, it wasn't enough anyway. So I got the correct 70 shot jets, which cured most of that problem. I've still got a little time where it runs rich, but rich is better than lean so I'm leaving it alone. All I have to do is shorten the fuel lines and it will be solved, but it doesn't bother me much.

So, I've got direct port 70 shot. Go to the track, spray it, instant wheelie. Hmm. So I waited until 3rd gear. STILL wheelied. I bolted up my old wheelie bars. They broke at the track and almost took me down. So I bought an all out slick and Pingel wheelie bars. Well, the bars work good, but the slick is too big, so not only do I not have enough gear, but I'd have to extend the swingarm to get the correct gear on it or the tire will hit the swingarm. My whole point in getting the bars was to not have to extend the swingarm, so I just took all that off and run the bike at the track NA. I have sprayed it on the street though, just for kicks (and not around any traffic). Let's just say that turbo Busa's would have a hella race on their hands if they pick on me on the street. I know you guys have seen that turbo Busa video where the speedo moves almost as fast as the tach. Well, my bike does that too but I didn't spend $5000 to get it to do it :twisted:

How much do I have in it? Less than a tenth of what the big boy turbos cost, that's including all the parts I bought plus a second bottle and warmer. Not to mention I can take all that stuff off, return the bike to stock, and sell the kit for more than I paid for it. What kind of times? Well, I can't keep it down, so I can't get a good ET. I gained as much as 12 MPH in the 1/8, and around 30 MPH in the 1/4. I've been 10.52 on it NA in the 1/4, and 6.80 in the 1/8, with a 240# rider on full suspension and true street tires. I figure if I lose about 40 pounds and spray the top of 3rd and most of 4th, high 9's are very likely. Not bad for a 25,000 mile Honda that's still stock length and unmodified suspension. Of course, it would have more like 35,000 miles before I can lost 40 pounds :wink:

Bottles last a lot longer than I imagined. I hit it about 5 times last bottle, and when I had it refilled there was a ton still in it. Nitrous is only $3 a pound here, so no worries in that department.

The bike is still stock when the gas is off. No change in rideability. Full suspension, stock length, just a regular ole XX but with fur and a 2.5# bottle hanging off the side!

Hey you should drive that puppy to the sonic on hwy 90 in biloxi on wed nights. So many busa's at our bike night that dont even think a 'bird can keep up with them!! I try to tell them but I dont have the experience to prove it! Post a pic, I'd be interested in seeing it. Not too many 'birds out here on the coast

The Busa guys around here all know they can beat me on the track. Of course, most of them weigh 180-200#'s and/or have swingarms, MCR2's, straps, Power Commanders, lowering links, and some even have strutted rearends! If I had all that crap and weighed that little I'd be as fast as them too! I look at it like this:

I run 6.40 at the local track, full suspension, no bottle, stock length.

The absolute fastest NA Busa here has a 6 over swingarm, MCR2, lowering link, strap, power commander, jet kit (non efi bike), and a 185# rider and runs 5.80.

The general consensus is roughly every 12 pounds = .1 at the track. He weighs, 55#'s less than me, so if I lost that 55#'s I'd run 5.95. That would still be on a stock length bike! Hell, I can kill him on the tree, so as long as I beat him by .15 on the tree then I've got him whooped. So who is actually faster with all things being equal?

I usually don't take my aggressions out on the street. It's just too dangerous. But if somebody makes me mad enough, trust me, it's on.

I should drop a line to Spencer Cycle and get them to do some looking at that. I bet a lot of guys would be interested in a dry shot if it were <$500 and an easy install

That is SO true. Count me good for one, if under 5 bills and an easy install!