CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pulse Generator?

Big-V316

How can you tell if your pulse generator is going bad? If you read some of my posts you will see that I picked up a 99 bird last November and have had problems since day one. My bike will die then in a couple of minutes be fine and may not die again for day's. I have been told that it might be the pulse generator but if it was would it go out all at one time or is it normal for it to get worse over time? With my bike the fi light comes on and stays on. I have tried to retrieve error codes but there dosen't seem to be any.

What you describe sounds more like a connection problem than a component problem. Most pulse generators are Hall effect devices and they are pretty reilable if terminated properly. BMW's have a known harness issue where the insulation around their wires deteriorates due to engine heat. I have not heard about this being an issue with the Honda bikes.

Some time spent with the wiring diagram and an oscilliscope would be the only sure way to check. The pulse generator likely acts as a trigger for not only ignition but also the firing of the injectors but both are more or less difficult to access while riding the bike.

Have you checked your iginition coils for signs of cracking/arcing? Simple enough to check with an ohm meter. A partially shorted coil might be overloading the ignitor circuit and causing some internal component to overheat and shut down only to return to function after a short cooling period.

What about the wiring loom corrosion issue that has been discussed here before. It is a taped up block on the left side near the tank seat junction that was used at the factory to test the wiring, then capped off and taped up. It can corrode and cause the problems like you are describing.

Do a search on wiring loom corrosion here

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I have already done the wiring loom fix and it still dies. I have a new kill switch coming so as soon as it gets here I will see if that takes care of it. I have been through the mill with this bike but I still have hope.