CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bitched-up my tail cowl

sykotek-xx

I ditched my Sirius radio. As much as I love Stern, and the commercial free music, I was still having reception issues especially in incliment weather, and I could no longer stomach the $240/year for the 2 recievers. So bye bye.

I had used some silicone to adhere the antenna to the tail cowl. Popped the antenna off and the silicone remained. Tried peeling it of, no go. Tried rubbing the shit out of it to get it to ball up and come off that way, no go. So I carefully took a utility knife blade (minus the knife) and 'shaved' it off. This still left a paper thin layer of silicone. It's not coming off.

Now, I've posted a bunch of times how I wish my bird was red. I'm thinking winter project. The tail cowl now needs a respray (trust me, I didn't stop with the blade where I left off above.)

I've got an HVLP spray gun and can tent up my garage as a spray booth. Who here has painted their own plastics/tank?

All bodywork is in mint condition except for the tail cowl, which is still flat, just ugly. So there should be minimum prep time.

I'm thinking of using the tail cowl as a guinea pig, and if I get good results I'll do the rest of the plastics/tank.

Any tips? This will be an over the winter thing so I'm not starting it tomorrow. Just looking for advice...

Thanks.

I ditched my Sirius radio. As much as I love Stern, and the commercial free music, I was still having reception issues especially in incliment weather, and I could no longer stomach the $240/year for the 2 recievers. So bye bye.

I had used some silicone to adhere the antenna to the tail cowl. Popped the antenna off and the silicone remained. Tried peeling it of, no go. Tried rubbing the shit out of it to get it to ball up and come off that way, no go. So I carefully took a utility knife blade (minus the knife) and 'shaved' it off. This still left a paper thin layer of silicone. It's not coming off.

Now, I've posted a bunch of times how I wish my bird was red. I'm thinking winter project. The tail cowl now needs a respray (trust me, I didn't stop with the blade where I left off above.)

I've got an HVLP spray gun and can tent up my garage as a spray booth. Who here has painted their own plastics/tank?

All bodywork is in mint condition except for the tail cowl, which is still flat, just ugly. So there should be minimum prep time.

I'm thinking of using the tail cowl as a guinea pig, and if I get good results I'll do the rest of the plastics/tank.

Any tips? This will be an over the winter thing so I'm not starting it tomorrow. Just looking for advice...

Thanks.

I think gas will take off silicone? I think? You may have to soak a rag in gas and lay it on top of the spot.

First of all I am a painter and a bird owner I am going to paint mine this winteras well. In my past experience with silocone nothing takes it of , I have never tried rubbing it off with a pinstripe removing tool " rubber wheel on the end of a die grinder". As far as preping tank, Honda cleared over the the wing decall, if you are changing the color to red or any other color you will have to dig the decall out with a razer blade or sand it off, feather edge were decal was and prime that area, thry not to go to metal when sanding if yo do you will have to re e-coat and then prime sand tank after primer dries sand with 600 grit and paint. The plastic is easy, use a heat gun to remove decals if there is no damage just clean sand with 600 grit and paint, do not sand through paint on plactic or more steps will be needed. You shoud add flex additive to your clear coat only. Hope this helps. If you need more assistance just post more help on the garage or e-mail. good luck.

Just looking for advice...

Get a professional to do it.

My bike has been "Ghettobird" for over 6 months now for a reason. I let a non-professional buddy that was trying to get into the business have a crack at it. Now, I'm shelling out an obscene amount of money just to get it to a point that I don't get nauseated every time I look at it. You'll never get it to look "just right" if you're nuts about the way your bike looks.

My .02 (and no disrespect if it's something you think you CAN do- it makes you better than me. I tried, using the same set up that you're talking about, to do my Corbins. Redbird walked up at TBME and said: "What'd you use on that, rattlecan?" I was too embarrassed to say that that had been my best attempt. :icon_redface: )

Just as an FYI for you guys out there running an satellite set up. I used a "silicone" tape on the tail of my bike. It's a non adhesive / strechy tape that just clings to any smooth surface. This stuff is great. I have had my antenea on the back of my bike for a couple thousand miles and not one mark on the paint. I also used a peice of double stick foam tape on the magent side of the antenea as "cushion".

I would try a Sticker Eraser...

There kinda new... fit in a drill, 1/4 inch chuck...

we've used them at work peeling vynil stickers off of Cop cars, works great and doesn't seem to hurt the paint...

of corse you will need to buff and polish afterwords.

I think we get the wheels from Napa.

Holy Shit.. :icon_eek:

Just stop what you are doing and leave it alone. Put a big sticker over it or something till you can get someone to paint it.

Get with Bandit to paint it or even look up Plasticweld to repaint it who is just up in New York..

Empire GP paint, dude. Spend the time- they'll make it worth it. (No offense, Bandit, I just don't know your work, and I'm pretty comfortable recommending Empire GP.)

Silicone is a red headed slut to painted surfaces. Any attempts to repaint that area could result in a horrible "fisheye" in the paint. Had it happen to my Jeeps in the past.

I'd suggest buying a new tail section, which comes perfectly painted. Then, sell the existing tail on Ebay.

A repainted bike will depreciate your bike's value as everyone will assume (incorrectly) it has been dumped or rebuilt. :icon_doh:

I have been ASE, I-Car and PPG Ceirtified painter body tech for almost twenty years, Having said that let let me tell you you don't become a top refinish shop over night and if you want a top quality paint job you won't achive one the first time around. yes silcone is the wors't thing a painter likes to see but if it is totaly removed and clean very well, the tail can be refinished. I say if you have a good spray gun and you have the desire to paint go for it and if you don't like the out come of the tail let a pro do it.

I have a tavern light, which I also call my disco light. It is a red, LED strobe light which I attached to the underside of my rear fender. (Just under the battery.)

Being that it's LED it draws little to no power, and be left on for hours at a time. I bought it from some police lighting source like Whelen or some such place. Cost was under $50.00. Real conversation piece. Plus if you park at a motorcycle meet/rally amongst hundreds of other bikes, not only does yours stick out, and draw a crowd, but it makes your bike easy to find.

I also have red and blue strobes in the mirrors, though I wouldn't recommend it. For show use only. :icon_dance: