CBR1100XX.org Forum

Checking your oil?

PredatorXX

I have heard people checking it both ways. My opinion in order to get the most accurate reading, the bike should be off both stands and held level by "an assistant." Then use the dip stick w/o screwing it in. If you were by yourself, you can check it on the center stand as well-I do not think it is that critical.

I agree with Warchild, do not check it on the side stand. :icon_naughty:

Guest rockmeupto125

Ideally, the motorcycle should be level, and the dipstick should not be screwed in.

Leaning on the sidestand will give a different reading, and can be quite inconsistant if you have uneven ground.

But if the ground is level, and you check on both the centerstand and the sidestand, you'll find little actual difference in the readings. Probably best is that you check it the same way each time.

Drain oil, put 4.1 quarts in with a filter change. Ride 5K miles, repeat.

I think mine consumes a total of about 8 oz of oil in 5K miles based on measuring the amount drained from both the sump and the old filter. So, at worst case, I will be down only about 6% on my oil after 5K miles. I can live with that. Certainly the bike can as well.

Are you to check it on your center stand or off center stand?

Er.... is this a trick question? :icon_eh:

yes it is - noone needs to check the oil on a honda :D

Thats what I heard some say center stand some say hold it level and check it.

My opinion in order to get the most accurate reading, the bike should be off both stands and held level by "an assistant."

Good way to drop a bike.

D'oh!! another center stand one :icon_doh: