CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hyperpro shock

Harald

New to the forum. I've had my XX since 1997 and still love it except it's starting to wallow more than usual. I see that Hyperpro has a shock to fit the bike. I'm not an extremely agressive rider, so I figure the type 40/Emulsion should work for me. Anyone install a Hyperpro shock on their bike? How do you like it? I see that a lot of guys have the Penske or Ohlins setup, but I'm hoping to keep costs down. Thanx.

If you want to really keep the cost down, pick up a stock shock from someone who purchased an aftermarket unit when the bike was almost new...

I talked to Hyperpro today, and it seems that the Type 40 is just an oil shock, and is not nitrogen charged or anything... Basically just a stock replacement, which is fine, but it's just a stock replacement... It's looking like I'll be picking up a Type 41 with remote preload around Christmas time...

Also, for about the same money as the Type 40, Wilbers has a similar shock with no bells and whistles, although I don't know if it's gas charged or not... I think it's called the 640...

Mike

+1 on what Mike said as far as keeping costs down. I picked up a stock rear shock for $50 with 8k miles on it, and installed a Hyperpro spring. It's a big improvement over stock, but still not as good as a quality aftermarket (Ohlins, Wilbers, Penske, Hyperpro). You'll want to look into doing your front springs also. I did the Hyperpro springs a couple of weeks ago and am very pleased with the results. For about $370 I did the rear shock (stock replacement with Hyperpro spring), front springs, fluid and seals. It's a huge improvement over stock for not alot of money.

I have the H/pro shock but it is 4-way adjustable: rebound, ride height(from the lower mounting) and high and low speed compression (from the nitrogen bottle).

I am very satisfied whith it, BUT even if you only change the spring I feel that you have to change fork springs as well (actually is the NO1 part that you have to change in the bird).

Anyway, as i said before if i was leaving in US, I would definetely consider Penske as well like that if I was leaving in UK I would consider Maxton.

Regarding stock shock with an a/market spring, it might be an improvement but definetely you cannot compare it with a complete a/market quality shock.

"Stock" Hyperpro is a gas charged,just like a stock Honda part or any shock on the market.The thing is that they don`t have a seperate reservoir ( remote or integrated) to keep oil and gas ,,well,, seperate, so under hard use oil mixes with gas and damping changes. ( shock fading).

I would go with "sport" Penske shock from www.traxxion.com ,they really,really know their craft,it is custom valved piece.

BTW,there is a very interesting piece about suspension in Moto GP in latest Roadracing World.Ohlins guys say that all that 100`s of clicks are there to sell shocks,but in reality they use very few of them,and almost never touch them anyway .Their GP pieces have less adjustement then some of O.E.M. part.I guys they were refering to High/low speed clicks on new R6.It is all in quality,consistent parts and proper valving to begin with.Capirossi has been using the same valving for last 3 years.

Most of their support during races comes down to playing with spring rates,preloads and ride heights.The guys also said,better the rider,less he plays with suspension, like Rossi or Doohan.

It is all about what is inside of the shock.

If you want to really keep the cost down, pick up a stock shock from someone who purchased an aftermarket unit when the bike was almost new...

I talked to Hyperpro today, and it seems that the Type 40 is just an oil shock, and is not nitrogen charged or anything... Basically just a stock replacement, which is fine, but it's just a stock replacement... It's looking like I'll be picking up a Type 41 with remote preload around Christmas time...

Also, for about the same money as the Type 40, Wilbers has a similar shock with no bells and whistles, although I don't know if it's gas charged or not... I think it's called the 640...

Mike

Hi Mike,

just a tip for you: wait with buying this shock.

The new 3-D shock will be available for the Blackbird next year. My bike will be the testbike for this shock early next year.....

The advantage is that this one will be a modular shock with replacable parts. If you ever sell the BB, it's most likely you can take the shock with you and place it on your new bike, just replacing parts of the shock instead of a complete new shock. This will save you money.....

And if you are not going for the new 3-D type, you might get an old 41 for a good price..... :icon_biggrin:

Good luck!