CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame plugs

Canadian Bird

I received a set of frame plugs from "Jaws" and the instructions state to use a clear silicone sealer to ensure that they stay in the frame holes. My question is when perhaps would one need to access those bolts that the frame plugs cover? If so, would the plugs be difficult to remove if they are "glued" in? Cheers

Silicone sealer will come off no problem, alchol will break it down easily.

GOOP is a better choice for making sure they stay inplace, although a little harder to remove.

What ever you do, clean nuts,threads and grease before you close them up so you dont get a nasty surprise when 2 years later you pull the caps.

Not at all disagreeing with John- if those are his instructions, but I'd use something like Honda Blue bottle on it instead. Silicone may tend to lock it up for good, or at least make it pretty darn tough to get out.

Thanks, what is Honda Blue bottle? I've never seen it at my dealer.

It's the stuff used to lock down the rotor bolts and caliper bolts and such. It comes in Green, (weakest), Blue, (holds, but you can get it off), Red, (you might as well weld it on). If you go to the dealer and ask, they'll probably have it. It comes in small bottles, colour coded of course, and is kind of spendy, but a little goes a long way.

There are other products, but that's the one I'd use. Goop is good, too, and I didn't know silicone would come of that easy, so I've learned something- it's a productive day. :icon_biggrin:

And chaser is absolutely right, a good cleaning will save you a world of hurt later.