CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird won't take throttle

greggp

My 97 (10,200 mi) sat over the winter and was running rough so I drained the tank and carb floats as well as replaced the spark plugs, engine oil, air filter and oil filter. The bike starts and idles low (less than 1000 rpm) with full choke. Any attempt to advance the throttle or turn the choke off just kills the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Check your vacuum sources--sounds like you have a serious leak since it will only run with full choke. There are two that I'm aware of, 1 for opening the gas valve and 2--don't know what it is supposed to open (I'm not the original owner) located on the lower side of the block---to the right of the carburators. The cap thr previous owner had put on that fitting on mine developed a crack on the underside and I had a hell of a time finding it.

Good hunting & happy trails kel

Check your vacuum sources--sounds like you have a serious leak since it will only run with full choke. There are two that I'm aware of, 1 for opening the gas valve and 2--don't know what it is supposed to open (I'm not the original owner) located on the lower side of the block---to the right of the carburators. The cap thr previous owner had put on that fitting on mine developed a crack on the underside and I had a hell of a time finding it.

Thanks guys. I ran a check of all the hoses and even did some testing to make sure the tubes were clear. The bike still only ideals when choked and won't take any throttle.

There seems to be a common spot where folks reattach the vaccum line to the tank petcock even though it does not go there. There is a pic somewhere in some post. Be sure the vac line on the petcock is in the right spot. It's apparently easy to put back in the wrong spot.

The wrong spot you're talking about is a little nubbin that sticks down from the petcock. It looks like that's where the vacuum hose should go, but it doesn't- and will cause the exact symptoms you describe. It's easy to do- that was my problem.

Read THIS. It's a good explanation, and I bet it's your problem.

The wrong spot you're talking about is a little nubbin that sticks down from the petcock. It looks like that's where the vacuum hose should go, but it doesn't- and will cause the exact symptoms you describe. It's easy to do- that was my problem.

Read THIS. It's a good explanation, and I bet it's your problem.

Thanks, yeah, I saw that in a previous post. I wish it was that easy but unfortunately I had the vacuum hose on the correct nipple on the back side of the fuel tap. I'm going to do a little more research and wait for some other responses then pack the bird up and tailer it to the repair shop. I'd like to get in a couple of rides before the snow flies.

You've got pluged pilots... or emulsion tubes, and you're using your choke circut as an idle bypass, but that's all she'll do. If you try and give it gas.... she dies because the bowls can't do there job mixing the fuel and air propperly.

Take the carbs OFF. remove bowls.... clean, clean, clean.

Thats what you get for letting it sit too long....

next time run it at least once a month, and you won't have this problem.

You've got pluged pilots... or emulsion tubes, and you're using your choke circut as an idle bypass, but that's all she'll do. If you try and give it gas.... she dies because the bowls can't do there job mixing the fuel and air propperly.

I agree with this diagnosis. See thread "will not idle" for a way to clean jets without removing carbs. Then use Sea Foam and ride it. Use Stabil during storage - you can get several months of storage that way. In New England, it is often hard to get it out and running during those cold winter months ...

You have air but no fuel when you open throttle, the above sounds about right on the money

I agree with this diagnosis. See thread "will not idle" for a way to clean jets without removing carbs. Then use Sea Foam and ride it. Use Stabil during storage - you can get several months of storage that way. In New England, it is often hard to get it out and running during those cold winter months ...

SOLVED with the help of users

Thanks for everyone's input. Pulled the carb bank over the weekend, cleaned the pilot and main jets, put it all back together and it runs great! Appreciate the tips from all!