CBR1100XX.org Forum

It's official, I need a PCIII

sykotek-xx

Getting about 150-160 miles before the reserve light blinks now, was a consisitent 190-195 before I put six 9/16 holes in the rear baffle and a 1.25" hols thru the center of each stock pipe. Sound and look is exaclty what I want so I want to retune and keep running these drilled pipes, but I would like some MPG (and likely performance) back.

I do not notice any drop off in power by the way vs. stock ...

What are the odds I'll be able to use a predefined slip-on map in the PCIII? How much tweaking will probably be necessary to retune for the drilled stockers?

I get puffs of black smoke (rich) if I goose the throttle in neutral, never used to happen, so she's definitely gone rich.

Also, why is it that these FI XX's defy all common logic and go rich when the exhaust is opened up, via slip on or other method?

I wish I knew the answear to that question. I have not found out why they go rich when you open up the exhaust. It makes no sense. I would suggest that you have the bike put up on a Dyno with a gas analyzer though. It may be going rich at some RPM's and lean at others. This is what happened to my bike when I was running D&D's. Huge swings from major lean to overly rich in the RPM band.

maybe I need a K&N to open up the 'in' side. I thought I read a K&N made pretty much no difference in air flow on these bikes, is that right?

Yes thats what I had heard if I had to pay for one I prolly wouldn't but I got mine for free and its reuseable so... :icon_smile:

Allright, now try this on for size....

I disconnected the battery overnight hoping for a miracle.

Reconnected in the morning, filled up the tank and I'm right back at 90 miles to the first 1/8 marker disappearing. Also the black smoke puffs are completely gone when I rev it in neutral.

Does the ECM 'learn' or recalibrate itself? Or am I just nuckin futs?

Reconnected in the morning, filled up the tank and I'm right back at 90 miles to the first 1/8 marker disappearing. Also the black smoke puffs are completely gone when I rev it in neutral.

The increased fuel consumption could very well be the result of inspired driving with the "new" exhaust. There should also be a lot of stuff blowing out of the system after the drilling.

The increased fuel consumption could very well be the result of inspired driving with the "new" exhaust. There should also be a lot of stuff blowing out of the system after the drilling.

That is what I originally thought, I was definitely twisting more and shifting less with the new noise. However I made two tanks worth of really docile runs, and both of them still had me hitting "reserve" (blinking fuel light) at 150-160 instead of the usual 190. Even when I romped on it with the pipes in stock form I never got mileage that bad. Now it is all better.

I pulled the pipes and shook most or all of the shit out of them after I drilled them. I was paraniod about some reverse rogue exhaust pulse pulling stainless steel drill shavings into the cylinders. Really. :icon_duh: I know.

I pulled the pipes and shook most or all of the shit out of them after I drilled them. I was paraniod about some reverse rogue exhaust pulse pulling stainless steel drill shavings into the cylinders. Really. :icon_duh: I know.

If you had drilled them while the bike was running you would not have had that problem :icon_evilgrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lmao:

If you had drilled them while the bike was running you would not have had that problem :icon_evilgrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lmao:

Didn't think of that.

Accually that doesn't surprise me. I had a 99 Dodge Dakota and the computer seemed to "learn" your driving habbits...

For example if I reset the computer and drive it like I stole it the truck would always feel more peppy that if I reset it and drove very eary. I use to reset the computer before ever road trip and would get 3-4MPG better fuel ecomomy. The truck did have some mods so that might have had something to do with it.

But I know Dodge computers all need to have the computer reset in order or power adders to show any gain. Maybe our XX does the samething....

As far as I can tell, the XX ECU does "learn" driving and throttle use habits.

I am pretty consistent with my throttle opening and riding habits yet, when I go on a trip, the bike seems to retain its around town setting for the first couple of tanks. Some of this could be just the bike cleaning up after loading up a bit around town but it repeats the same behaviour time after time. First tank of a trip will have the reserve light coming on at around 170 miles, comes on at 160 around town, second tank it will be around 180 and by the third, it is in the high 180's low 190's. The light doesn't change, usually between 5.1 and 5.3 gallons to fill depending on how far the next exit with a gas station is.

Also, the last tank on return from a trip always gets better milage than the next around town tank.