CBR1100XX.org Forum

Where about's do you shift at?

HamrTym

Purely out of curiosity, just like the title says, when do you all shift when WFO. Not looking to eek out that last 1/10 in the quarter, just some insight. Running a Yoshi full exhaust, stock air filter, but no PCIII, just stock ECU. Since I don't have a dyno sheet to show me where the power peaks then tapers too, hard to tell. I know that on most vehicles, it's pointless to stretch the motor out to redline due to severe taper off in power. Probably not the case of the 'Bird, but I don't know for sure. Like I said, not looking for the exact answer of (geeky voice over) 10,336 rpm in the last 5 gears should result in maximum accelerative motion. Any experience, post up. Enjoy.

P.S. Stock gearing also.

Rob,

My problem was due to extreme excitement I found I was short shifting in first way to early, like ..........................8000 rpm !!!

Couldn't understand why I couldn't break the 7.0 sec 1/8 mile :-)

After first it was balls to the wall with a big grin till I heard the limiter kick in, then a quick frown and shift to return to a big grin :icon_biggrin:

No matter where you shift it is a blast !! :icon_biggrin:

OK Rob, Here's my deal with that question at the drag strip ( 1/4 mile ). With me knowing that my bikes power really starts to fall off at about 9.5K rpm ( lean ) here's what I do.

1st to second gear - just before the limiter

2nd to third - 10.5Krpm

3rd to 4th - 10K rpm.

OK Rob, Here's my deal with that question at the drag strip ( 1/4 mile ). With me knowing that my bikes power really starts to fall off at about 9.5K rpm ( lean ) here's what I do.

2nd to third - 10.5Krpm

3rd to 4th - 10K rpm.

That is a pretty good strategy. Taking ratio spreads into account and a bit of tachometer lag in the lower gears, you are probably getting the best area under the curve doing it that way. I don't really use the tach much when running through the gears. With a bit of practice, you can feel the motor starting to tail off, at least in the higher gears. Just a bit beyond the fall off point is shift time.

2nd to third - 10.5Krpm

3rd to 4th - 10K rpm.

That is a pretty good strategy. Taking ratio spreads into account and a bit of tachometer lag in the lower gears, you are probably getting the best area under the curve doing it that way. I don't really use the tach much when running through the gears. With a bit of practice, you can feel the motor starting to tail off, at least in the higher gears. Just a bit beyond the fall off point is shift time.

Thanks Ed :icon_clap:

Full Yosh system lifts power curve on topend,peak power might not be much higher but for sure overrev is much better,basically bike pulls well all the way to the rev limiter.

I don`t think there is a much of tach lag, when WOT,even in lower gear, bike always bounces off rev limiter at indicated 11250 rpm,same as in higher gears.With laggy tach,it would touch rev limiter at indicated lower rpm in lower gears.

Piped XX makes peak power relatively close to the redline with good overrev,has a wide ratio gearbox ( by sportbike standards anyway) therefore I allow motor to run slightly into a red before shifting.

On my r1 with monster 2000 rpm overrev,ultra close ratio gearbox, ( 5th and 6 are like 6% apart) there is very little point in going into the red line ( unless you want to save couple gear changes on the track) so my shift light is set for 13200 RPM .It redlines at 13750rpm,but hey, it is Yamaha tach. :icon_liar:

2nd to third - 10.5Krpm

3rd to 4th - 10K rpm.

I agree :icon_razz:

Usually I shift around 9-9500 ( 98 Ti BB stock except for K+N Filter ) very rarely in the red and had never hit the limiter until the other day when I was out riding down some roads near home and came up to this straight stretch about 3km long - went over a speed hump at around 30kmh in 1st and opened her up expecting the front to come up as it does usually, instead she spins up :icon_eek: ( probably very fine silt as sand trucks use the road :icon_think: ) and the back end moves to the right so I ease off slightly then open her up again next thing WTF - power drops off :icon_surprised: , I look down and the needle is at the top of the red zone :icon_eek: ( all this happens in a split second BTW ), suddenly think "shit rev limiter" :icon_nono: flick her up to second open her up again till 10 000, into third slow down for T junction just as 2 plods on ST 1300's turn into the road :icon_naughty: decide to take it easy the rest of the ride home :icon_think: :icon_shifty: One thing is for sure it did not feel good when she hit the limiter and for a split second thought there was something wrong with the bike :icon_frown: do not think I will bother taking it past 10 000 from now on :icon_hand: can't see the need :icon_duh: :icon_wink:

Try shifting at 11,400................................kf4mtw swears by it. :icon_rolleyes:

ROFLMAO!

On subject, I was shifting just over 10K rpm when I was tach watching, but I also got to the point where you can hear and feel the power falling off and I started shifting more by feel. Took a while, and then a while longer to learn to do the same clutchless, but I got to the point where I could bang up through the gears pretty rapidly. I'd guess I was probably in the upper 9K range when she started falling off, just shy of 10K and the 10,800 redline.

WTF - power drops off :icon_surprised: , I look down and the needle is at the top of the red zone :icon_eek: ( all this happens in a split second BTW ), suddenly think "shit rev limiter" :icon_nono: flick her up to second open her up again till 10 000, into third slow down for T junction just as 2 plods on ST 1300's turn into the road :icon_naughty: decide to take it easy the rest of the ride home :icon_think: :icon_shifty: One thing is for sure it did not feel good when she hit the limiter and for a split second thought there was something wrong with the bike :icon_frown: do not think I will bother taking it past 10 000 from now on :icon_hand: can't see the need :icon_duh: :icon_wink:

Yea it gets up there pretty fricken quick in first and second. It catches me by surprise all the time cause who the hell is looking at the tach when you're WOT.

ROFLMAO!

On subject, I was shifting just over 10K rpm when I was tach watching, but I also got to the point where you can hear and feel the power falling off and I started shifting more by feel. Took a while, and then a while longer to learn to do the same clutchless, but I got to the point where I could bang up through the gears pretty rapidly. I'd guess I was probably in the upper 9K range when she started falling off, just shy of 10K and the 10,800 redline.

What?! Your not using your super wiz bang dual foreman grill kawasuki shift light? :icon_stickpoke::icon_whistle: