CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody got Convertibars?

testrider

Hi all,

Does anybody here use Convertibars? How do you like it? I have Heli bars

and Givi screen on my 97XX but I like to have a set of higher bars for long distance touring.

How do you like it? Which length did you get? What degree bars you got?

If you could post some close-up pics it'll be great. The ones on convertibars.com

are not very clear.

Thanks!

-mike-

Hey Mike,

I have Converti-Bars. They came with the bike when I bought it. I love 'em, highly adjustable. They remind me alot of the Heli-bars I had on my Bandit years ago. I had Heli bars on my last VFR, hated them. I guess it makes a big difference on what model bike you plan to install them. I have never seen Helis on XX so I cannot comment.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to upload. (The bike is tucked in the garage now so I cannot get to it to be any benefit to you.) :icon_wall:

I have them too, for about 1 1/2 years, wouldnt leave home without them!

Dont have photo's, sorry but I had to shave the bottom of the stock screen to get them to the full 3+ inches over stock that I wanted.

You dont have to go that far ofcourse to get 2 1/2 or more, but you do need the Xtra hoses.

I had Helibars, these offer much more adjustment up or back.

Thanks guys, please post some close up pictures if you could.

My Helibar raised about 1.5" over stock. I really like to have another 1.5" more

for touring. I already have longer Galfer hoses.

On Convertibars.com, they have 3 types: 0 degree, 5, and 10.

and they also have different length.

If you could, please tell me which one you got?

Thanks!

You should buy at a minimum 2-3 inch longer cables (Motion Pro) to give you the range of options that may want to adjust to. The Convertibars are also longer than stock bars and put the controls a bit farther out so you have to adjust for that factor as well. Don't forget the longer brake hoses as well. Convertibars will sell you a set of hoses for brake and clutch lines if you want them. I went the Spiegler route and ordered a complete set for the bike from Gary McCoy at university Motors.

BTW , I also had to raise the fork tubes up about 1/2 inch so that the taller clamps would fit properly. This is probably not a problem unless you have already added the 6mm shim out back. You may need a new taller windscreen if you raise the bars to keep you out of the windblast as well.

You might also want to take a look at the VarioBar by Gilles Tooling from Germany.

http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/vb/index.php

I have them, and these are great! They look a lot better too.....

Also check out this posting: http://www.blackbirdownersclub.nl/phpBB/vi...hlight=variobar

Yes, the brake and clutch lines have been replaced with longer ones.

I actually have my convertibars set as high as the electrical controls and turning clearance allows. This is probably 1 1/2 to 2" higher than stock clip ons.

I also added the Zero Gravity Dark Smoke Touring shield as well.

(I have the bike set up more for sport touring).

I can always lower the bars if I feel like leaning over more.

Thanks.

I have the same bars that Venus 97 has, except mine are all the way up.

Meaning that the bottom of the bars are just below flush with the collers, so If you look at V97's photos you can see that they can come up several inches, if you make the other changes, cables,hoses and screen shave.

You can bring the bars lots closer by rotating the collars aft and or swinging the bars aft.

Like I said I had to shave the side pieces on the stock screen with a Dremmel to get them all the way up but,

by re-routing the throttle cable I still used the shock cable.

Of course I can push them down to clipon level in 3 mins. if I want but, I dont want!

I used the stock screen with a Laminar Lip added after trying a Zero Gravity Tour for a few weeks, I have less buffeting with the Laminar Lip.

I looked at the Varobars and they are really nice stuff but, offer less adjustment, they are very popular in Europe but Converibars are not know in Europe ...much

You might also want to take a look at the VarioBar by Gilles Tooling from Germany.

http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/vb/index.php

I have them, and these are great! They look a lot better too.....

Also check out this posting: http://www.blackbirdownersclub.nl/phpBB/vi...hlight=variobar

Thanks. They look nice but it's so much more expensive!

You should buy at a minimum 2-3 inch longer cables (Motion Pro) to give you the range of options that may want to adjust to. The Convertibars are also longer than stock bars and put the controls a bit farther out so you have to adjust for that factor as well. Don't forget the longer brake hoses as well. Convertibars will sell you a set of hoses for brake and clutch lines if you want them. I went the Spiegler route and ordered a complete set for the bike from Gary McCoy at university Motors.

BTW , I also had to raise the fork tubes up about 1/2 inch so that the taller clamps would fit properly. This is probably not a problem unless you have already added the 6mm shim out back. You may need a new taller windscreen if you raise the bars to keep you out of the windblast as well.

I didn't know that the fork tubes have to be raised for the clamp to fit.

Raising 1/2" (or 12.7mm) on the front fork is a lot more than shimming 6mm on the rear, no?

Any instability or the fender hitting the underside of the headlight on full compression?

Testrider,

More like 3/8 of an inch, and that's because I'm picky. The Convertibar clamps are taller than the stock clamps on the OEM clip ons. I don't like the idea of a small well being formed if I didn't raise the bars, particularily with the Traxxion suspension adjusters in the front forks. I would have some concern about raising the front forks in the clamps if I was a heavy rider (I'm +250 lbs.) and ran on rough roads with the stock springs.

The Convertibar clamps are more than adequate in doing the job with just 3/4 of the sleeve wrapping around the fork tube.

If you have installed a Superbrace on your bike, I posted a warning a while back that might also be of interest.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...c=34306&hl=

BTW, the 6mm shim raises the rear end about 1 inch due to the rear shock linkage. I'm not sure what the comparable bike "angle of attack" would be raising the front tubes 1/2 inch. Probably close though!