CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain and sprocket life

BarryG

Bike is in for 16K service at speed shop. Shop said chain/sprocket look fine. I've noticed no real tight spots and have been cleaning/lubing religously every 400-500 miles since I got the bike w/1600 mi.

Admit the last 4K mi or so have been primarily highway.

Anyone have 20K on their original chain?

Bike is in for 16K service at speed shop. Shop said chain/sprocket look fine. I've noticed no real tight spots and have been cleaning/lubing religously every 400-500 miles since I got the bike w/1600 mi.

My original had 23k on it, and was in GOOD shape, and was still toward the "new" end of the adjustment... I just replaced it this spring because I didn't want to worry about the chain on my trips this summer...

I will say that I also ride in a lot of rain and salt/sand in the winter too, and it wasn't maintained at all for the first 5k miles, before I got it... I just spray the Honda lube on every ~300 miles, or after I ride in a good rain, and it's good to go...

Mike

My original had 23k on it, and was in GOOD shape, and was still toward the "new" end of the adjustment... I just replaced it this spring because I didn't want to worry about the chain on my trips this summer...

I will say that I also ride in a lot of rain and salt/sand in the winter too, and it wasn't maintained at all for the first 5k miles, before I got it... I just spray the Honda lube on every ~300 miles, or after I ride in a good rain, and it's good to go...

Mike

My XX has never been ridden in the rain yet.

I have a 2000 bird with 37,000 KM , just got the rear tire replaced and checked the rear sprocket, and it is in fine shape and the chain also, still in the green, but have bought a new chain and rear sprocket to have on hand , will buy the fr. sprocket from the dealer stock

My stock chain and rear sprocket lasted 30,000 miles. I replaced the front sprocket every 10.000 miles. The stock chain and sprockets are very good quality unlike alot of other bikes. :icon_clap:

I just changed my chain and sprockets at 95,000 kms, 2nd set after the original. DID gold. OEM sprockets. I try to keep it clean and lubed. Stay with Steel sprockets, Honda oem, I believe are excellent. I change sprockets whith the chain although the rear seems it could go further. I think I went 40,000 kms on the first, 25,000 on the 2nd, 30,000 on the third. Most, almost all of my kms are highway touring. I didn't take care of my first chain as well as I should have. Some use pro-oilers, I don't. If you tour, carry chain lube. My experience, and p.of v. Cheers

The stock chain and sprockets have 27.5k and are still holding up but the time is drawing near for replacement.

Are you the Gary I rode with last year when Tim (TJontheroad) crashed?

Either way welcome to the nuthouse :icon_biggrin:

The stock chain and sprockets have 27.5k and are still holding up but the time is drawing near for replacement.

Hey Brett,

That day is one I will never forget and thanks for the welcome. I think Tim gave up riding for a while to follow other interests.

Hey Brett,

That day is one I will never forget and thanks for the welcome. I think Tim gave up riding for a while to follow other interests.

You have been sent a PM in order to end this thread hijack...

Back to the regularly scheduled program :icon_lol:

I just changed my chain and sprockets at 95,000 kms, 2nd set after the original. DID gold. OEM sprockets. I try to keep it clean and lubed. Stay with Steel sprockets, Honda oem, I believe are excellent. I change sprockets whith the chain although the rear seems it could go further. I think I went 40,000 kms on the first, 25,000 on the 2nd, 30,000 on the third. Most, almost all of my kms are highway touring. I didn't take care of my first chain as well as I should have. Some use pro-oilers, I don't. If you tour, carry chain lube. My experience, and p.of v. Cheers

What's this "kms" crap? You might as well type in chinese..... :icon_duh:

Well bike is back from the mechanic...sprocket/chain are good he said.

Got brake, clutch flushed, new plugs, valve check, new Pirelli Diablo Strada's all the way around.....felt great riding it home.

To celebrate the fresh service on the XX, I parked it in the garage and took out the Bonneville all day today!

Kilometers CRAP, my ass, you guys(USA) are the only country in the world that dont use the metric system, ( England may be sitting on the fence) come up north and our speed limit is 100 on the highways just to mess up the Yanks

Got brake, clutch flushed, new plugs, valve check, new Pirelli Diablo Strada's all the way around.....felt great riding it home.

To celebrate the fresh service on the XX, I parked it in the garage and took out the Bonneville all day today!

If I typed in Spanish, then would you understand? :icon_wink:

Holy crap! I must ride like a lunatic! I only got 10K miles out of my chain and sprockets!

Start lubricating.

I got 25K out of mine, and it wasn't totally worn out.

Changed it before a long trip. :icon_angel:

If I typed in Spanish, then would you understand? :icon_wink:

Si porque entiendo espanol pero kilometros? Pincha puerco!